Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Not-so-solitary Writing Life

When I began writing in earnest a little over two years ago, I knew no other fiction writers. My family and friends are incredibly supportive, but they don't have characters chattering in their heads at all hours or know what it's like to have a story begging to be put on paper. As much as they care about me and give me tremendous support and encouragement, they aren't writers.

I've attended three Christian writers conferences. What a thrill it is to sit in a room full of others who share my love of writing. I received wonderful instruction, and I met some terrific people. Talking with them about their writing journeys watered my parched soul.

Being a Golden Heart® finalist has opened up a whole new world. I had the privilege of being a guest on The Seekers blog along with the other inspirational finalists and was invited to join the 2008 GH loop. I'm now in contact with incredibly talented women who share my passion for romance writing and am learning so much from them. I check my e-mail and find uplifting messages from fellow writers all across the country and as far away as Australia.

Although I spend hours holed up at home in front of my computer screen, I no longer feel isolated. New friends are a click of the mouse away.

1 comment:

Tracey O'hara said...

Keli,
Waving from far away Australia.

I know exactly what you mean. When I discovered other writers it was like I found my home, and all my sisters and even a few brothers.

It is the most amazing communtity.