Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Friday, September 5, 2008

Are You Being Followed?

Personal Weather Report - Calm.

Writing Activity - Prepped for two guests at Romance Writers on the Journey, my blog for others, like me, who are seeking publication of their romances.

Don't look now, but your Cyber buddies may be tracing your electronic footsteps. Scary? Maybe at first, but I'm actually inviting people into my world through two new tools.

The first is Twitter. What's that, you ask? At Twitter.com you will find this definition: "Twitter is a service for
friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: 'What are you doing?'" In 140 characters or less a user shares thoughts, observations and the happenings in his or her day.

OK, so why would anyone want to do this? My answer: it's fun. You see, I not only post brief messages about my activities, known as "tweets," but I can also read those of others I'm following. For example, I follow Michael Hyatt, CEO of Thomas Nelson, one of the major Christian publishing houses. Another I follow is W. Terry Whalin, a high-powered literary agent and multi-published author. And there are some romance writers whose updates I monitor through Twitter.

Why do I want to know what others are up to? Because I learn a great deal. How often does an unpublished romance writer have daily access to the comings and goings of such powerful publishing pros as I do by following them on Twitter? Rarely. But Twitter affords me that opportunity.

And am I being followed? Yes. Currently two writer friends are keeping tabs on me via my tweets. And you can, too. I've added my Twitter Updates to this blog. Check it out in the sidebar.

Having this blog allows me to follow others as well in a different way. The provider of the service, Blogger, just added a new feature that enables me to show other bloggers I support them by listing me among their followers. The authors of those blogs I visit will know I'm one of their subscribers and regular readers.

In turn, anyone who wants to follow this blog may do so. There's a link in the sidebar where you can sign up. If you do, you'll receive a notification whenever I put up a new post. I know you await every word of wisdom written by yours truly with unrestrained eagerness, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today, and you can follow me. Trench coat, optional.

2 comments:

Terry Whalin said...

Hello Keli,

I don't know anything about the high-powered part of your description of my life as a literary agent. I have been around for years in the marketplace.

I'm glad to hear you like my Twitter updates. I'm continuing to learn about it too. Just imagine the influence that someone like Guy Kawasaki, the venture capitalist has with over 18,000 people on his Twitter (I'm one of them). I personally know Guy.

Keep up the good work n your blog entries and thanks for mentioning me. People can also sign up for my blog email updates (free) in the right-hand column. The Writing Life has almost 900 searchable entries.

Terry
Author of Book Proposals That Sell

Jessica said...

Hi Keli,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, I'm so excited to start Janet's book! I'll definitely stick up a link tomorrow for her interview at R. W. Journey.
Thanks again!