Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Coming to The End

Personal Weather Report - Unsettled.

Writing Activity - Still on hiatus. Am reading in my genre for fun and research.

I completed five manuscripts in a period of eighteen months, so I know about endings. They're bittersweet. On the one hand, finishing a story thrills me like little else. On the other, I go through withdrawal. Having spent weeks or months with my characters, I miss them.

I'm coming to the end of a major chapter in my life. My daughter and only child started her senior year of high school. I snapped a picture as she prepared to leave the house the first day of school, a tradition begun when she was in Kindergarten. I acted cheery, but inside wistfulness waged war with excitement.

Yesterday I attended my final Back-to-School night. My throat grew tight as I drove to the campus, realizing this was another in a year-long parade of lasts. I willed myself not to let threatening tears escape.

How am I going to handle this time of transition? Just as I immerse myself in a story when it's pouring forth, my goal is to
savor each event or activity. Instead of focusing on the future, I want to remain in the here and now.

Yes, my daughter's childhood will soon be over, but I could end up missing out on some serious fun if I give in to bouts of melancholy. I want to enjoy this special time in her life.

When The End comes and my husband and I leave our daughter at her college dorm next fall, I don't want to drive away filled with regrets. Bittersweet though the moment will be, I
want to look back on her senior year as having been one of the high points of our time together,

Have you raised a child/children? If so, how did you deal with the transition from childhood to young adulthood?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Mine are only four and under, thank goodness.
I can't even think about later years.
Hope you find some stuff to chase the melancholy away :-)

Theresa Ragan said...

Keli, you will be fine. For one thing they all come back...a LOT! Especially in the beginning. Yes, it's different at first and a big transition for everyone, but it's your job to have your daughter go off and leave you...fly away...with confidence and readiness. Only you can provide her with that... Make sure she knows she can call every day and she can come home if she wants. You'll always be there for her. Yeah, you might be a little sad for a bit...but good parents are supposed to teach their kids everything they need to know to go off on their own someday... Hugs!!!