Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Friday, May 22, 2009

Five on Friday: Fun New Words

I'm feeling my age today.

Why?

My daughter graduates from high school tomorrow, and I'm asking myself where the years went.

I remember all those older and wiser moms who used to watch as I chased my active toddler through the store when she went exploring. They would smile and tell me to enjoy the experience because "the time will go more quickly than you think."

They were right.

My daughter heads to college in the fall. I'll miss her, but I have oodles of online friends who'll still be there, many who haven't celebrated nearly as birthdays as I have and who help me keep a youthful perspective.

One benefit of having younger friends is that they teach me new things, including new words. My daughter, the Fashion Queen) is shocked when I drop one into conversation, and I kinda like seeing the surprise on her face.


Five Words I Added to My Vocabulary This Past Year

  1. ginormous (The FQ couldn't believe I didn't know this one. Yeah. She laughed.)
  2. gobsmacked (A recent addition. Sounds so cool rolling off the tongue.)
  3. lurve (Not a new word, but a great new spelling of of my favorites.)
  4. snark (Anyone have a clear definition? If so, please share.)
  5. squee (Probably my favorite. Love to squee with writers who get The Call.)
• • • • •

What are some other catchy new words you know? Please share them with me, along with a definition, so I can prove to the Fashion Queen I'm not a total dinosaur.

4 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh Keli! Graduation! Since I have junior high and younger kids, I'm totally out of the teenage vocab. scene. I'm sure I'll be getting there in a few years! Enjoy your weekend and your last few months of having your daughter home!

sherrinda said...

Awwww, a child graduating. It is a bitter/sweet time, but a defining step in our children's lives. When my oldest moved away, he appreciated me so much more and he enjoyed talking with me as a friend, rather than just a mom. It's a nice transition. We'll see how it goes the the 2nd (he graduates next weekend!) God bless, and enjoy the weekend!

p.s. I got your sweet gift in the mail! You are too kind. I should be sending YOU something special. :)

Anne Barton said...

Keli, enjoy this big moment! I know you must feel very proud. :)

I'm always behind the curve on trends. That goes for words and fashion. That's why I write historicals.

Jessica said...

Awwww, I don't want to think about my babies graduating! Wah!!!!!

Okay, my sympathies are definitely with you. And gobsmacked? Love it. So this is funny. When you sent your card after my interview, I just thought you left off the 'l' on squeal accidentally, and mispelled it. LOL Guess I'm out of the loop too....