Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Review of a Great Read: A Promise for Spring

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. Check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

The Review

A Promise for Spring by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Emmaline Bradford gave her heart and her pledge to Geoffrey Garrett when she was a young girl of seventeen and bid him a tearful farewell when he left England to seek his fortune in America. He’d planned to return in a year, marry and take his bride to his sheep ranch in Kansas. Five years pass before he sends for her, years in which Geoffrey has, at her overbearing father’s request, corresponded with Mr. Bradford but not with his daughter. She obeys her father and travels to the foreign land to marry Geoffrey, who has become little more than a stranger.

Geoffrey has spent five years working to make his ranch viable, all the while keeping Emmaline’s father and biggest buyer of his wool informed of his progress. As soon as Geoffrey can, he sends for his fiancĂ©e, eager to show the woman he loves the home he’s built for her. When she arrives, wary and unwilling to marry him, he’s confused and crushed. Reluctantly, he agrees to a trial. She stays, working as his housekeeper, with the understanding that if she doesn’t feel differently come spring he’ll pay for her return to England. Will he be able to rekindle the love she once felt for him, and will she be able to accept his in return?


A Promise for Spring by Kim Vogel Sawyer is a beautifully told story of two hurting souls, each fearful and wanting the other to be the first to change. I fell in love with Sawyer’s characters, aching for both Emmaline and Geoffrey as they dealt with the challenges thrust upon them, those of the heart as well as those dealt them as ranchers in what can be an inhospitable land. Sawyer wields the pen with consummate skill, crafting an endearing tale rich in period detail that will stay with readers long after they heave the final sigh of contentment. I highly recommend this book, one that has joined the few treasures on my Keepers shelf.

• • • • •

Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win my once-read copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose the winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will list the winner's name the following Saturday.

Last Week's Winner

Congrats to Amy De Trempe, winner of my once-read copy of Love Finds You in Last Chance, California.

5 comments:

Amy De Trempe said...

Keli,
This sounds like another great book to read. Thanks for posting the review. I can't believe I won Love Finds You in Last Chance, California. Thanks. It made my day. Thank you.

Keli Gwyn said...

I hope you enjoy the book, Amy. Please contact me via email so I can get your mailing information. My address is in the sidebar. Thanks.

mez said...

A Promise for Spring sounds like an engaging story. I think I would take a second look if it had been five years with no correspondence! Please include me, thanks.

worthy2bpraised[at]gmail[dot]com

Keli Gwyn said...

mez,

I found Kim's book quite engaging. I wanted so badly to see Geoffrey get his girl, but I could understand Emmaline's hesitancy.

And without spoiling the story, Geoffrey had good reasons for not writing directly to Emmaline and for the delay in sending for her. Still, I hurt for the two of them and what they had to go through.

I couldn't read this book fast enough to find out what happened and stayed up later than I'd intended several nights. Kim tells a great story.

Keli Gwyn said...

Mez,

You're the winner of Kim's book. I hope you enjoy A Promise for Spring as much as I did.