Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Review of a Great Read: Love Finds You in Last Chance, California

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. Check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

The Review

Love Finds You in Last Chance, California by Miralee Ferrell

June 1877. After the death of her father, Alexia Travers finds herself with a horse ranch to run. Strong and independent, she’s up to the challenge. After all, as her father’s only child, she learned all there is to know about the ranch at his side—or thought she did. What she didn’t know was that her father mortgaged the ranch just before his death. Clad in men’s trousers, she takes over but encounters one setback after another: hired hands quitting, horses missing, fences cut.

Justin Phillips arrives in answer to a telegram from Alex’s father saying he’s in trouble. When Justin learns that his friend is gone and Alex is now in charge, he has to convince her to hire him, a widower with a young son needing care, so he can honor his promise to her father. She does, but will she ever be able to trust this stranger who’s captured her attention when he’s unable to tell her his real reasons for being there?

Miralee Ferrell has helped Summerside Press launch its new line of Love Find You stories with the first historical in the series. Set in the Mother Lode of California not far from the Sierra Foothills town where I live, I was eager to read Ferrell's story. She does a wonderful job creating the setting. Her characters come to life on the page. Alex exemplifies the spirit of the West and has what it takes to run the ranch. Bearing the emotional scars of a painful past, Justin captured my heart.

The story moves along nicely, picking up speed about halfway through. Ferrell weaves a mystery into the tale, complete with a great twist at the end. She kept me up late as I hungered to find out how things turned out for Alex, Justin and the ranch. If you’re a fan of Western historical inspirationals, I think you’ll enjoy this book.

Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win my once-read copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose the winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will list the winner's name the following Saturday.

Last Week's Winner

Congratulations to Jody Hedlund, winner of my once-read copy of Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas.

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats Jody!

I'd love to be entered here. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of voices/plots that imprint is looking for. :-)

Amy De Trempe said...

This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Thanks for posting the review.

Emily said...

I love westerns and I love the title of this book. I'd pick it up just for the title without reading the blurb. Thanks for the review too!

Miralee Ferrell said...

Hi Jessica,

Summerside has a wide variety of 'voices' writing for them...from contemporary 'sweet romance' to a more comedic style, to historical. It's a great idea to read several different titles, to get a true feel for they type they want. Mine was the first historical out of the first 6 or so released, but there have been 2 or 3 more since. Glad you stopped by!

Miralee Ferrell
www.miraleeferrell.com

Miralee Ferrell said...

Amy, I appreciate you taking the time to read the review and I hope you enjoy the book if you end up with a copy!
Blessings,

Miralee Ferrell
www.miraleeferrell.com

Miralee Ferrell said...

Emily,

I, too, love westerns, having read pretty much all of Zane Grey's while growing up. This does have a true Old West flavor, and I hope you'll enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

Miralee Ferrell
www.miraleeferrell.com

A J Hawke said...

I would be interested in winning a copy as it sounds like a good read.

A J
Ajhawke.blogspot.com

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Shucks! I thought I did leave a comment. But I've been on deadline, so I'm not responsible when I'm in that crazy state. :) I'd love to read your book, Miralee.

Lauralee Bliss said...

I'd like to win a copy, thanks! Saw some awesome reviews on it. :)

Amanda Cabot said...

The story sounds fabulous. I love western historicals, and this one sounds special. I'd love to be entered in the drawing.

Frances said...

I'd love to be included in the drawing. Sounds like a wonderful book.

Frances Devine
fd1440writes@aol.com

mez said...

If I'm not too late, please include me! Thanks.
worthy2bpraised[at]gmail[dot]com

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I've been wanting to read one of Miralee's books. Please enter me in the contest.

susanjreinhardt (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks,
Susan :)

Miralee Ferrell said...

Wow! Sorry I couldn't keep up with all the comments recently posted...blame it on my pressing deadline for my next book in the Love Finds You line. I do appreciate all of you gals stopping by to enter the drawing. Blessings to you all, I wish there were enough books for everyone to take home a copy free!

Miralee Ferrell
www.miraleeferrell.com

You can sign my guestbook on my website above and be entered in another drawing for a signed copy.