Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Massive Revision/Rewrite of Inspirational Historical #3
Status: 22,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 3,500


I'm currently performing a major revision of a story I completed a year and a half ago. I've revised this story once before, but I knew it needed major work. I've learned a great deal the past year and am excited about making this story better.

Numerous contest judges said this story had a slow start. Gwynly, my incredibly supportive, very bright hubby, is a great brainstorming partner. He gave me an awesome idea for a great beginning. Making this change required a complete rewrite of the first quarter of the book, but it's well worth it. I'm delighted with the result. The story is better than ever.

• • •

Have you ever had to toss a major portion of one of your stories and start from scratch? How did taking a hatchet to your "baby" make you feel?

6 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

It seems that I always have to go back and rewrite most of the first chapter. I think once I get into the flow, then I'm able to see how to make it better in a way that I can't see when I'm first starting out.

Glad you found a great new hook to your story! So does that mean you are rewriting the old story while you're working on your current WIP?

Keli Gwyn said...

Jody,

I've completed five inspirational historicals. The one I'm revising (my wip) is the third one I wrote. I'll be able to use a little of what was there, but much of the material will be brand new.

I set aside the contemporary I was working on. I'd reached 50 of 60K, so that was tough. However, since I realized my voice is far more suited to my "first love," I returned to my historicals. A wise decision, I know, because the comtemporary flowed like cold tar, whereas my historicals gush like freshly tapped oil spewing skyward.

Keli

Emily said...

I always rewrite the first and last chapter at least 4 times. By the time I finish my book, usually the first chapter doesn't really match the rest of it. It's like the beginnings of an idea, not fully formed. And then the last chapter always needs tweaking. Good luck with your revisions. I'll be thinking of you while I am doing the same thing!

Sarah Tormey said...

Hi Keli,

I completely understand your excitement when faced with the task of revising. As you know, I tossed the beginning of my ms and completed a massive revision about one month ago and now I'm thrilled with the result. I hope you enjoy the process as much as I did and that in the end, you love every word of your new draft.

Best Wishes,
Sarah Tormey

Lynnette Labelle said...

I'm doing that right now. Ugh! Don't ya love it? Actually, it's not so bad. I like the new version better. I just wish I had more time to work on it.

Lynnette Labelle

”Lynnette Labelle’s Blog”

Keli Gwyn said...

Lynnette,

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to hear you're happy with your revision. It's rewarding to watch the story improve, isn't it?

I totally hear ya on not having enough time. I could use an extra day every week just to play catch-up. Of course, if everyone else got one, too, what good would it do me? :)