Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Inspirational Historical #3
Status: 27,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 5,000


I've passed the first quarter mark in the major revision of my historical, and I'm delighted with the story so far. In order to make things better for my heroine in the long-term, I had to take away something she valued more than almost anything else. The poor woman is suffering, but things will get better. She can trust me.

My own life was filled with change this week. I'm now the mother of a high school graduate. When the nurse handed me that adorable baby girl swaddled in a snowy white blanket over eighteen years ago, I never dreamed I'd be witnessing her wonderful graduation ceremony so soon.

I'm an emotional person by nature. That's why I love a story that takes the characters through the range of emotions. However, writing such a story when I'm in the middle of a dramatic change was interesting.

What I learned this past week was that writing was the best thing I could have done. When tears threatened as I reflected upon my daughter's life, I hastened to the computer, opened my manuscript and imbued my characters with deeper responses to their experiences, making the story richer and even more fun to read.

• • • • •

How do you deal with those times when events in your life become intense and emotions are running high? Do you put your story on hold, or do you use your writing as therapy?

3 comments:

sherrinda said...

Sad to say, I put my story on hold. I can't seem to focus when I am all in turmoil. I hope someday I can overcome that and let myself go in the writing, because life tends to be crazy for me alot and so I don't get a whole lot of writing done! ;(

Jessica said...

Hmmmm, when I'm upset I tend to devour books. But sometimes I'm too upset for that. Writing isn't usually therapy, though if I sit down and do it, it can be therapeutic.
Congrats on your daughter's graduation and writing 5000 words in a week! That's awesome and your revisions sound great. A suffering character is better than one who just kind of floats through the story. :-)
I'm doing revisions too. Tough stuff. How do you know when you're headed in the right direction or if you're messing something up? My gut sure can't tell. Sigh.

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda,

I can so relate. I used to put my writing on hold when I encountered a rough patch on my journey, but since discovering how much working on my story can help me, I've changed my way of doing things.

Jessica,

Thanks for the congratulations. The graduation ceremony was lovely.

I hear you on wondering about the story. I'm sure every writer has times like that. But as one of my CPs reminds me, look at the facts.

You're an award-winning writer who placed in the Gotcha! That shows me you not only write well; you write stories that are top-notch. Hold onto that truth. Maybe even post a reminder by your computer. :)