Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Inspirational Historical #3
Status: 28,500 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 1,500


I'm a member of a Goal in a Month group where we post our progress each week. My goals for Week 22 were to enter a writing contest and add 3,000 words to my wip.

Sounds manageable, right? Well, I didn't achieve my goals.

I did enter my wip in a contest. Two, actually. I haven't ventured into the contest circuit in a while, but with the encouragement of my awesome CP and my tremdously supportive hubby, I decided to take that step. I welcome the judges' feedback. I've learned so much from those who've judged my entries in the past and am indebted to them.

I didn't make my word count though. I wanted to. I tried to. But it didn't happen.

Why?

Because my family just transitioned into summer mode. Yup. Gwynly, a high school teacher, and the Fashion Queen, our recent high school graduate, are on vacation. He's off until early August. She starts college in September. It's great to have more time with them.

My hubby and daughter know I write all year long and are fine with that. However, I get sidetracked. It's fun to go on convertible rides in Gwynly's classic MGB roadster or go to lunch with the Fashion Queen. How can I resist?

Despite the draw to do other things, I did make progress, even if it wasn't as much as I planned. Maybe I'll do better next week. I can try.

As I adjust to having my loved ones around 24/7, I hope to create a schedule that balances family time with writing time. I'm eager to finish this revision and begin another story.

• • • • •

Some of you work outside the home or have young children around all day, every day, and yet you write. I'd love to know how you structure your day, how you keep from getting distracted and how you get back into your zone after dealing with family members' needs.
Care to share your secrets?


9 comments:

Jessica said...

Eek! Well, I had a nice routine going but you know how that goes...LOL! I'm seriously considering getting up before my kiddos, even though I tried it before and some radar went off in their little heads that mommy was up so they should be too. Sigh.
As of right now, it's touch and go. Sometimes naptime, sometimes evening. Hardly ever does any writing get done when they're awake.

Don't feel bad about missing out on some wordage. :-) No doubt you'll catch up at some slowtime. It's awesome that you spent time with your family instead. So much more important in the big pic.

And congrats on entering two contests!!! I'm hoping to hear of a final...:-) I'm doing revisions too, kind of like you, so contests are something I'm going to be entering again too.

Have a great week!

Jody Hedlund said...

I have young children around 24/7 and I homeschool my older children. We just started summer break and so I'm looking forward to having more time to devote to my writing than I typically have during the school year. I'm currently on edit mode and am frantically trying to edit my second book and get it to my new agent! So right now, everyone knows and understands that mommy is editing ALL the time! It will pass and life will resume after the books are the agent's hands!

Emily said...

Keli ~
First, congrats on entering the contests. You know I've been thinking of doing the same but haven't gotten the courage yet. However there is one with a deadline of 7/1. This one will be there one! I think :)

As far as finding the time to write ... well I don't find the time, I make the time. Usually when my little boy is taking his naps but no matter what I have planned each day, I make sure I devote an hour to writing. Most people can do 15 minutes and accomplish the same amount I do but it takes me awhile to get into the mindset. So even if it's late and I've had a long day, I sit down and do something writing related.

sherrinda said...

Woohoo! Entering 2 contests is great! As for not meeting your word count, time with the kids is a great reason, don't you think? For me, since I work in a school, I am looking forward to summer so that I will have more time to write. Maybe I will FINALLY finish! :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica,

I hope your revisions are going well. Tough as it can be to cut scenes, chapters and even a full quarter of my book, which a great new beginning made necessary, it's rewarding to see my story getting better.

I hope you get great news on those contest finals. Nothing like good news to boost one's enthusiasm for the project.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jody,

How nice that your family is so supportive and understands your need to get your edits done so you can get the manuscript to your new agent. This is great training for life as it will be at times when you sell. I'm sure they'll be sooo proud to see your book on the shelf.

Keli Gwyn said...

Yay, Emily, on choosing a contest to enter. I've learned a great deal from the wonderful contest judges who've been so generous with their comments, suggestions and instruction. I love how supportive and encouraging writers are.

Kudos to you on making your writing time a priority. I know it can be hard to return to a story when we're tired. One thing that helps me shift gears is to put on my writing music. Since I listen to classical pieces, they help take me back in time to when my stories take place.

What tips do you have for making the transition from the fast pace of a busy mom to a creative, reflective writer?

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda,

I hope your summer gives you plenty of time to work on your story. And I think finishing your WIP is a great goal. Won't it feel great to come to The End? I know you can do it. I believe in you!!

Laura Frantz said...

Oh, I envy your summer mode, Keli! We don't start summer till mid-June here. Since I'm down to homeschooling only one child, my schedule is much lighter. I love to write in the mornings but lately have been working morning, afternoon, and some evenings on writing projects. Never a dull moment:) I do wish I had more time to read for pleasure.

I just know you'll final or win - you are the contest queen! And I know your edits are going well as you put your heart and soul into them.