Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Monday, June 15, 2009

Motivation for Monday

I'm often motivated by what I read. I'm also motivated by things my husband says. This past week I was moved by something Gwynly read and shared with me.

His men's Bible study group is reading a book called Seeing What Is Sacred by Ken Gire. A passage from the first chapter caught my guy's eye:

Books in a way are sacraments that make the communion between an author and a reader possible. The white paper and black ink are the means through which one heart is revealed to another. But the paper and the words are merely the elements of the sacrament. What is sacred is the heart that writes the book and the heart that sits in silent communion to take and read what has been written.
.
I love the idea of a book connecting the heart of the writer with the heart of a reader. That's what I hope my stories will achieve.

• • • • •

Do you sometimes feel connected to a writer when you're reading his/her work?

3 comments:

Jill Kemerer said...

Oh yes! Especially when I've read several books by the same author. Wonderful!

Anne Barton said...

Keli, what a beautiful passage. There is something almost spiritual or magical about sharing a story through written words. Thanks for sharing the quote. --Anne

Caroline said...

Very moving. Yes, one can get close to an author without ever meeting them. I'd like to read that book.

~Caroline