Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Monday, June 22, 2009

Motivation for Monday

Do you ever struggle to stay interested in your work-in-progress? What writer doesn't?

I found a site called eSSORTMENT with a post titled "Motivation and inspiration for struggling writers." The subtitle gives a better idea what you can expect: "Inspiration and some nonconventional ideas, to motivate and inspire writers who are struggling to stay interested in their long-term writing project."

The author of the piece lists ten ideas. One is to keep a journal of your triumphs and pitfalls. Another is to design a dust jacket for your book. My favorite is to reward yourself when you meet a goal.

Wonder if my hubby would agree that a Coach bag is a suitable reward for completing my manuscript. Maybe not, but I can enjoy a trip to Taco Bell when I meet my weekly word count goal
. Yum!

• • • • •

What are some ways you motivate yourself when you've lost interest in your story and things aren't moving along the way you'd like?

8 comments:

sherrinda said...

Keli, not 5 minutes ago I left a comment on my own post that i was struggling with getting bored with my WIP! I am almost finished!!!! And I am bored!!! Argghhh! :)
Thanks for the advice, I am going to try out a few of those and see what happens!

Jessica said...

I tell myself if I don't write then I can't possibly get published. Or I think about my kids going to school and me being stuck as a banker again. LOL! I don't know. There's lots of stuff that inspires me to write, and there's lots that scares me off.

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda,

Although I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with boredom, I'm glad you found the info helpful. I can't wait for the news that you've completed your story. Typing the final scene may be just the thing to get you excited about your writing again.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica,

I'm with you. Writing is more fun than the thought of heading off to work each morning.

I didn't know you were a banker in your life BK (before kiddos.) With my bookkeeping background and eye for details, I used to think banking would have been a cool career. Not cooler than writing, however. :)

Anne Barton said...

Keli, that's a great list. I esp. like #9--Do something for your novel besides writing. They suggest character sketches or maps of the setting or poems.

When I was getting a little tired of working on my last book I used storyboarding to get me back on track. It gave me a the big picture and helped me to discover the parts of the story that were lagging.

Great post. And I totally think you should go for the Coach bag. ;)

Keli Gwyn said...

Anne,

Storyboarding sounds like a great way to take a bird's eye view and see the places that need attention. Glad it helped you move forward on your story when things slowed a bit. It must have worked well, because I've read that story, and it's fabulous.

Caroline said...

When I get stuck, bored, or whatever….I set a very small goal. Two pages! If and when I complete that I get a treat or reward of sorts.

Usually, after the two pages I'm into a new scene or fun part of my work and I'm jump-started again....

Keli Gwyn said...

Caroline,

That's a great tip! I'll have to remember it.