Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Review of a Great Read: Stand-in Groom

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. Check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

The Review

Stand-in Groom by Kaye Dacus

Professional wedding planner Anne Hawthorne has built her business by being the best. She fills her days making her clients’ dreams come true and waiting for the day when she’ll be the one standing at the altar. Her first interaction with elegant Englishman George Laurence has her wondering if he’s the man God has for her, a man she could really trust. But then George shows up in her office—as one of her grooms. How can she keep her feelings under control while orchestrating the most elaborate wedding she’s planned yet, for him and his young fiancĂ©e?


George agrees to pose as the groom so his wealthy employer can keep his engagement a secret. Even though it goes against his Christian principles, George needs to keep his position as personal assistant so he can remain in the U.S. When the wedding planner turns out to be the first woman to capture his attention—and his heart—he feels horrible about deceiving her. Will he give up his job and his desire for citizenship in order to gain the woman he loves?


Stand-in Groom is Kaye Dacus’ debut novel, and what a debut. She’s crafted a wonderful story with engaging characters I liked from the start. Dacus brings to life the Louisiana setting and pulls the reader into Anne and George’s lives with the skill of a long-time author. The story moves along seamlessly, evoking emotion at every turn. I laughed, cried and sighed as I witnessed the hills and valleys of Anne and George’s journeys. Dacus has joined my list of must-read authors. I’m looking forward to her next book, Menu for Romance, featuring one of the secondary characters from Stand-in-Groom.


• • • • •

Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win my once-read copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose the winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will list the winner's name the following Saturday.

Last Week's Winner

Congrats to Mez, winner of my once-read copy of A Promise for Spring by Kim Vogel Sawyer.

6 comments:

sherrinda said...

I've heard alot about this book and it looks good. Kaye comes across on her blog as being real. Thanks for the review!

Jessica said...

I've heard of this one too. Didn't realize he had to keep his citizenship, so it sounds like it has a great conflict!

Laura Frantz said...

I've always thought the cover was just stunning! Glad to know the novel is a keeper. I'll add to my list! Your blog is a keeper, too!

Anne Barton said...

I agree with Laura--the cover is awesome. And it sounds like the story is too. Thanks for the review, Keli!

Keli Gwyn said...

Congrats to the winner of the book, Laura Frantz!

Laura Frantz said...

Keli,
Just wanted to say I received the book in the mail today and your very thoughtful hand-written card and lovely business cards. Bless you! And thank you for the wonderful book!