Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Inspirational Historical #3
Status: 31,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 2,500


When I wrote my first five books, I hadn't discovered the wonderful world of Cyberspace. I didn't know a single writer. My days were spent in isolation, crafting stories as fast as I could type them. I could pour forth a 100,000 word manuscript in six to eight weeks.

Since that time, I've crawled out of my cave and welcomed many awesome friends into my life. I now manage a Web site and two blogs, edit for my awesome critique partners, visit blogs, keep up on several loops, reply to email, spend time on Facebook, tweet on Twitter
and more.

Phew!

All of these additions to my life are great, but they take time. Time I used to spend writing.

When I watch my word count grow far slower than it used to, I can get discouraged. But then I remind myself that my life is rich and full these days.

And I look at all I did accomplish.

I don't list everything in my review on a regular basis, but this week I did lots more than work on my story. I . . .

wrote two sets of blog interview questions,
published six blog posts,
packaged several blog drawing prizes,
lined up seven new blog guests,
did a complete makeover of my Web site,
attended my weekly Toastmasters meeting,
read two books as an influencer,
wrote a book review
and
connected with tonz of terrific people.


I've prayed for balance in my life. I don't feel like I can say I've achieved it, but I'm making progress.

• • • • •

Do you struggle to add to your word count but find other things taking your time? How do you maintain balance? I'd love to hear your thoughts?

12 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Keli,
I totally understand what you're saying. There is so much more to a writing career than the actual writing! I suppose that's like it is with any small business. My husband owns his own business and has to do a lot of other things besides the main work!

It is such a balancing act! I think we always have to remember to keep our writing as our main work, though. If we let all the other things get in the way of the real work of writing, then we should figure out a way to cut back or hire a secretary! Seriously, I hired an editor because I just didn't have time for the crit group process. Even so, it will always be a struggle to balance our time wisely!

sherrinda said...

I am learning I don't balance well at all! I haven't written anything in 2 whole weeks!!! Part of was my job wrapping up for the summer months, part was graduation of a son, and part was a vacation/staycation. I have lots of excuses, but if I really was dedicated, I think I would make the time. It has made me nervous that I haven't forced myself to finish my WIP. I am so close...am I scared? I don't know. I have really been praying it about it though.

Jill Kemerer said...

Oh, yeah, I feel this. We lived in a different state where I had no friends, no volunteer obligations, and no cyber presence when I was finally able to write full time. I completed books in record time. But, I've found that I know so much more about revising and craft than I did then--that alone takes longer.

I try not to compare the speed of my writing. I just look at the overall picture. Am I accomplishing the goals I set for the year?

And congratulations on your current book! Keep writing!

Jessica said...

I absolutely struggle with that. May we both find balance. :-)

Caroline said...

I'm just getting back to my WIP from a long stretch of not writing and it feels terrific!!

I feel as you do, Keli. Pulled in many directions. The key is keeping our sights on the prize.

Hugs,
~C

Keli Gwyn said...

Jody,

You're so right about examining our lives to see what things get in the way of our writing and removing those we can. How cool that you're able to hire an editor so you have more time to devote to your creative process.

Anne Barton said...

Keli, finding the right balance is hard for me too! You do an admirable job. I wish you wouldn't make it look so easy. :) --Anne

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda,

Vacations are important. You've just finished a busy school year and graduated a son. You deserve a break.

I think your staycation is likely to recharge you so you'll return to your writing with renewed energy and enthusiasm.

Here's to finishing that manuscript and enjoying the thrill of reaching The End. Be sure to let me know when that happens so I can celebrate with you.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jill,

Sounds like you totally understand my hermit experience. While it enabled me to complete five manuscripts in under two years, I didn't really begin to move forward in my writing until I crawled out of my cave.

Writers are a generous group. I've learned so much for those who run great blogs and freely share what they know.

In spite of the fact that I liked turning out stories so quickly, I'd much rather learn to balance writing with the other activities than to hibernate.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica,

We can work together as we strive to incorporate balance in our writing lives.

Keli Gwyn said...

Caroline,

I'm delighted to hear that you're able to get back to your wip and are having such fun with your story.

You know all about keeping your eyes on the prize. You did just that, and now you're preparing for the arrival of your "firstborn" on the shelves. Can't wait to read your book.

Keli Gwyn said...

Anne,

I make it look easy? Ha!

You teach, raise a family and write awesome Regency romance--all the while looking beautiful and serene. You're an inspiration to me.