Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Monday, July 13, 2009

Motivation for Monday

A Harvard grad writing romance?
An ivy league college holding a scholarly conference featuring a romance writer?


Yes.
Julia Quinn is the Harvard grad.
Princeton is the university hosting Eloisa James.


The romance genre is gaining respectability and acceptance, and for good reason. While total book sales were down 4% from 2008, according to the Association of American Publishers, Harlequin's revenue rose 13.5% in the first quarter of 2009.

These facts were taken from an encouraging article published recently in USA Today,
"Scholarly writers empower the romance genre."


http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2009-07-06-romance-novels_N.htm

Be sure to read the entire article. Why? Because you won't believe who organized that Princeton conference. I was surprised and think you may be as well.

• • • • •

Do you think the romance genre has overcome much of the stigma it's battled for decades?

Do you find yourself having to defend your choice to read and/or write romance?

3 comments:

Anne Barton said...

I loved the article, Keli.

Romance may not be *everyone's* cup of tea, but this genre has such smart, avid readers that I don't think it matters much. :)

Congrats on making such great progress this week, too.

sherrinda said...

Great article, wasn't it? I must admit that it is hard for me to say I write medieval romance. I find myself immediately qualifying that it is not a bodice ripper! What in the world is a preacher's wife writing a romance novel??? It is good to know that there are great novels out there that are making the reputation a bit better. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Anne and Sherrinda, I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I don't think there will ever be a shortage of romance readers--or writers.

And, Sherrinda, I think it's cool that you write inspirational medieval romance. Readers looking for that period in the CBA don't have many choices. You're there to give it to them, just as Linore Rose Burkard gives Regency readers an inspy alternative. Melanie Dickerson has fared well in contests with her inspirational medieval, which I think you will too.