Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Review of a Great Read: Love's Rescue

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. I invite you to check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

The Review

Love's Rescue by Tammy Barley

An Action-packed Western Romance

Jessica Hale’s family heads out West to avoid the escalating tensions between North and South and moves to Nevada Territory, but trouble finds her there. Her beloved brother returns to the States to protect the family’s Kentucky homestead, and Union sympathizers burn their Carson City home, killing her parents and little sister and leaving her alone and at risk. To make matters worse, she’s injured in the blaze and whisked away to cattleman Jake Bennett’s ranch deep in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, far from civilization.

Realizing the danger Jess is in, Jake takes it upon himself to protect her, which is no easy task considering the fact that she can’t stomach the sight of him, blames him for her father’s death and tries to escape at the first opportunity. But that’s fine by Jake. He doesn’t intend to lose his heart to a firebrand like Jess when he’s got his own set of troubles--just keep her safe. Both struggle to deal with their emotional scars independently until they trust the Lord with their hurts and heartaches and allow Him to bring healing.

Tammy Barley has crafted an action-packed adventure that pulled me in and kept me entertained from first page to last. Plot twists aplenty, nice touches of humor and deep emotion kept me turning the pages eager to see what would happen next. Jess, a spirited heroine who hides her softer side, wound her way into my heart. Jake is the consummate hero, with a caring nature beneath his sun-bronzed, take-charge exterior, whom I fell for--hard. Barley sprinkles the story with a liberal helping of secondary characters who people the ranch and add a nice blend of sweetness and spice.

Love’s Rescue, Barley’s debut novel, is one of the best books I’ve read this year, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes inspirational Western historicals. I look forward to the sequel, Hope’s Promise, and the opportunity to spend more time with Jake and Jess.
.
• • • • •

Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win a brand new copy of the title I just reviewed. (I'm keeping my copy of this book.) Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose the winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winner's name the following Saturday.


Last Week's Winner

Congrats to Lori, winner of my gently-read copy of Chasing Charity by Marcia Gruver.

16 comments:

sherrinda said...

Wow,what a glowing review! And a keeper, at that! Don't you love to read a debut novel that is really good? I love finding new authors to read.
Thanks for the review! I will have to put this on my TBR list.

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda, it is indeed a treat to discover a new author who not only has an amazing story to tell but who writes so well I can turn off my internal editor and read for pure enjoyment. Tammy is such an author.

Tammy's publisher, Whitaker House, gives a teaser of her second book, Hope's Promise, in the back of Love's Rescue, and it looks to be every bit as good as the first.

sherrinda said...

Have you interviewed her before on your other blog?

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda,

I interviewed Tammy twice at Romance Writers on the Journey, once soon after she sold and the second time when her book released.

To find my interviews with Tammy, you can click the link to my other blog in the sidebar. Once at RWotJ, go to my List of Past Guests page, look under Debut Authors and you'll find links to both articles.

Better yet, I'll just include them here:

http://romancewritersonthejourney.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/meet-debut-author-tammy-barley/

http://romancewritersonthejourney.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/debut-author-tammy-barley-returns/

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda, the links didn't come out clickable as I expected, but you could copy and paste the URLs.

sherrinda said...

Aww, thanks Keli! I love to read about new author interviews. It's so encouraging to read their journeys.

Jessica said...

Sounds like an awesome read! It's so weird when heroines have my name. They make it seem much more romantic than what it feels. LOL!
Thanks for the great interview. :-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I thought of you as I read the story and wondered if you're anything like the headstrong heroine in Tammy's book. :-)

Amy De Trempe said...

This sounds like another wonderful read. I've just added it to my list. I've got to stop reading your reviews or I am never going to be caught up on my reading :).

Keli Gwyn said...

Amy, I hear you on never being able to catch up on the reading. My TBR mountain is nearing avalanche stage. : )

Tammy's book is one I plan to read a second time, something I rarely do. I read for fun the first time, racing through the book to find out what happened. This time I intend to figure out what it is Tammy does that makes her story work so well and her characters so likable. They're the kind that will stay with me, and I want to know how she did that.

Tammy Barley said...

Keli, Sherrinda, Jessica, and Amy, I thought I'd stop by and say Hi!

Keli, thank you so much for your beautifully written review! No wonder that you've won significant writing awards!

Sherrinda, I love to read about folks too. When I'm not writing fiction, I assist other writers with their books, and many of the books are autobiographies. Some folks have lived through so much and are fascinating to read about.

Jessica . . . I believe that name was first recorded used by Shakespeare for a character in The Merchant of Venice. I think I'd also enjoy books starring characters with the same name I have. That would be fun! =)

Hi Amy, Plenty of great books to read . . . Is this a bad thing? LOL! "Alas, I have to enjoy a wonderful romance and eat these chocolate chip cookies warm from the oven . . . When will the torment end?" =) It's a tough job, sweetie, but someone's got to do it. =)

Keli Gwyn said...

Tammy,

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to drop by. Your kind words about my writing mean a great deal.

I hope your writing is going well. I have a vested interest in it since I want to read more of your stories. : )

Tammy Barley said...

LOL! That works out well because I love to write them.

=)

Tammy

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda, you get to enjoy Tammy's debut novel, Love's Rescue, because you're this week's winner. Congrats!

sherrinda said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am so excited! This book looks so good and your review was so glowing, I cannot wait to read it.

I've been thumbing through my new Guide to Punctuation and Style!! It is soooo helpful! :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda, I hope you enjoy Love's Rescue as much as I did.