Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Inspirational Historical #3
Status: 55,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 6,000

.

I'm tired but excited. I had a great week. First, I completed the critique I started last week, editing twenty more chapters. Not only do I get the satisfaction of helping a fellow writer and the enjoyment of a good story, but I also learn through the process. When I return to my work-in-progress, I see things I'd overlooked and am able to improve my story.

And return to my story, I did, rewriting 6,000 words. Yay for me.

However, I must 'fess up. I didn't add much new material. I've finally reached the point in the story where the scenes from the first version fit into to the new one. To my surprise and delight, I was able to use most of what I'd written in the two chapters I added this week. Talk about a good feeling.

Part of the reason I was able to focus on the editing and my writing this week was that our daughter was away at her college orientation. She was gone three days, giving Gwynly and me a sneak peek at what life will be like come September. At this point, I think I'm going to handle the transition well. I didn't shed a tear during the Fashion Queen's absence. Of course, I may find myself wishing I'd never made such a bold statement once she's been gone for a few weeks.

• • • • •

How much time are you able to devote to writing in a normal week?

How do you react when you return to your story and realize it's better than you remembered?

For those of you who are already Empty Nesters, what advice do you have on making the transition as painless as possible?


.

4 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Awesome accomplishments, Keli!

I try to write two to three hours a day, and if I discover I've written something good I'm deliriously happy. It doesn't often happen in first draft mode. We get one week a year to experience empty nest syndrom while the girls are away at horse camp--that's this week this year. It's quiet but doable.

Jessica said...

Lately, almost none. I could probably do more at night but usually I'm so tired that my eyes are burning. So maybe one hour a day uninterrupted. Sigh. I'm hoping things even out soon though.

Congrats on your word count. Very exciting! :-) Are you revising your book as a single title? That's what I'm doing too.

Keli Gwyn said...

Eileen, first drafts can be scary at times. I brace myself before starting my initial editing pass.

The story I'm working on now is one I'd already rewritten after receiving a request for a full on it some time back. It's been polished aplenty in the past. However, my skills have improved since then, so I'm doing my best to make the manuscript shine brighter than ever.

Bet it's mighty quiet around your place that week your kiddos are at camp. Do you spend much of that time writing, or do you and your hubby celebrate with a trip for two?

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I can't imagine writing while mothering small children. You are amazing. To get even an hour written after keeping up with little ones all day is an impressive feat.

My stories are single titles, although there are secondary characters who appear in several of them. Sometimes my main characters will make cameo appearances in another book too. I also work in certain events that are seen from different perspectives in another title.