Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Monday, August 3, 2009

Motivation for Monday

I've decided not to post something every Monday unless something profound catches my eye.
.
I found a post worth mentioning today from Kristi Holl's blog, Writer's First Aid: a Medicine Chest of Hope, one titled "What Motivates You?"
.
Here's the link: http://institutechildrenslit.net/Writers-First-Aid-blog/2009/08/03/what-motivates-you/
.
In her article, Kristi talks about internal versus external motivation. For those of us who haven't landed that long-awaited first contract, most of of our writing is internally motivated.
.
There are times when I'm preparing a contest entry and have a deadline to meet, but most of the time I don't have external deadlines.
.
To remedy this, I joined a Writing Goal in a Month loop where we post our weekly progress. Knowing I'll be reporting my progress, or lack of progress, helps. I'm also posting my progress here on this blog now. While these actions inspire me, I know that no one will boo and hiss if I don't move forward.
.
So, how do I remain motivated? I employ what Kristi calls "future motivation." I think of how exciting it will be to see my book on the shelf between Robin Jones Gunn's and Cathy Marie Hake's. Someday I want to be in their excellent company.
.
Another reason I keep writing is that I envision the day my husband opens my first book and reads the dedication, which will be to him, my staunchest supporter.
.
• • • • •
.
What motivates you to keep writing?
.
How do you stoke the creative fire when the flames have died down?

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Hmmm, I'd say my motivation is like yours, thinking about my future and what I'd like it to include. Like books on a shelf. LOL! Being paid to write is my biggest motivation though. It seems like it would be awesome.

When the flames die I'll pull out compliments. :-) Those always perk me up. LOL

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, it's fun to imagine walking into a bookstore and seeing our books there, isn't it? Who will be your shelf buddies when that day comes?

I save compliments too. Nothing perks me up like kudos from others. What's one that really mean a lot to you?

Jody Hedlund said...

That's definitely a huge motivator for me too! Wanting to see my book in print and being able to say that I'm published. But I know that's not where I should be looking to find my contentment. Rather I'm trying to remind myself of the joy of finishing a story and what an accomplishment that truly is in and of itself.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jody, although wanting to see my book is a motivator for me, I'm enjoying my journey and the wonderful people with whom I'm sharing it--people like you. :) I revel in each accomplishment along the way.

Jessica said...

I paid for a harlequin critique with my first finished historical romance. The synopsis (and it was horrible) had been rejected. I sent that manuscript off and when it came back with the crit, I was a nervous wreck. I wasn't planning to query that manuscript at all, until I got to the end of the three page crit (which there was nice stuff and constructive stuff in there, I highly recommend that service) Anyways, at the end the reader/critter wrote "To conclude, I want to stress that you have written a beautiful and intriguing novel."
That comment alone is something I think about when I feel discouraged over that story. Will it ever sell? I don't know. But to know somene liked it that much will always touch me. :-)

Shelf buddies? Eeek! I have no clue. LOL Hopefully someone famous. *grin* Who are yours?

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, what a wonderful comment from the reader. I can't wait until your story is snatched up so I can read your "beautiful and intriguing novel."

My last name, Gwyn, would place my books after Robin Jones Gunn and before Cathy Marie Hake if the store files them in alphabetical order. At least that's where they'd be at my local Borders.

Renee said...

I think a huge motivator for me right now is to get 'the call'. I know the call doesn't necessarily mean contract etc., but it'd be nice.

Keli Gwyn said...

Renee, getting The Call would be awesome, wouldn't it? I try to imagine what it will feel like, but I think it's something one just has to experience in order to know.

Jill Kemerer said...

Keli, my chest tightened when I read your sweet words about your husband. What a terrific motivator!

I used to be motivated by "the call," but I'm not holding my breath anymore. I just love to write!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jill, my dear hubby was actually in my office asking me how things were with my writer friends when your comment appeared in my in-box. Gwynly is the best. I'm sooo blessed. I've said it before, but he comes closer to "getting me" as a writer than any non-writer I know.

While receiving The Call will be a wonderful experience, that's not why I write either. Like you, I write because I love doing so. Not only that, but my characters won't stop talking to me until I get their stories on the page. :)

Kristen Torres-Toro @ Write in the Way said...

Hi, Keli!

I think seeing my books on the shelves one day is a HUGE motivator for me too! It's not why I write, and if that never happens, I won't stop writing. But, oh, that will be a good day!

Keli Gwyn said...

Kristen,

Thanks for stopping by. What do you write? Contemporary or historical? Suspense, Series, Single title or . . .?

Have you ever looked to see who your shelf buddies would be?