Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Review of a Good Read: Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. I invite you to check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

The Review

Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio by Lisa Harris

Responsibility, Regrets and Romance in Revenge, Ohio

The year is 1884, and Catherine Morgan spends her days running the family's general store while doing her best not to dwell on the fact that she's a twice-jilted spinster. Ever since her father left to seek his fortune in the gold fields of Alaska ten years before and her mother's death three years later, Catharine has denied herself any hope of marrying after losing the one man she truly loved. Instead, she's determined to see her three younger sisters happily married.

A new sheriff arrives to investigate a string of bank robberies, none other than Corbin Hunter, the man who left Catherine with a broken engagement--and a broken heart. She refuses to allow him to rekindle old feelings, which suits him just fine. Corbin has one goal: to find the man who killed his father and avenge his death. Can Catherine, who's angry with her father for abandoning his family, and Corbin, a man bent on revenge, renew their faith in the Lord and one another and find a love they thought was lost?

Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio by Lisa Harris has a nice blend of conflict, likable characters, plot twists, faith and a surprise ending. My heart went out to Catherine in her struggle to be the responsible oldest sister despite her regrets at having let go of her dreams. I felt for Corbin, who's consumed by his need to bring his father's murderer to justice while protecting the stubborn woman who broke his heart all those years ago. I recommend Harris's book for those who enjoy an inspirational historical with a side of suspense.

.
• • • • •

Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win my gently-read copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose the winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winner's name the following Saturday.


Last Week's Winner

Congrats to Jody, winner of my gently-read copy of The House in Grosvenor by Linore Rose Burkard.

15 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh No!!! LOL This would've been perfect for my revenge story. Heeeheee! LOL Okay, so mine wasn't even ready when they probably bought this.
I always love a good revenge story. And a side of suspense? Yum, sounds like a great dish! :-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I'm not a big fan of revenge stories myself because I can have a hard time feeling for a character who wants to pay someone back. However, Lisa does a good job making her hero likable in spite of his desire to repay the man who took the life of a loved one.

Jessica said...

LOL! Well, I'm a reformed vengeful person so I completely understand those stories!!!
The ones I have trouble liking are secret baby ones. I have trouble relating to someone who would keep a child from his/her dad.
:-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Now I'm the one laughing. One of my stories involves a heroine keeping her pregnancy a secret. She's convinced she has good reasons for doing so, but her friends disagree and encourage her to tell her husband the truth.

Guess we'll have to strike a deal. I'll read your revenge story, and you can read my secret baby tale. :)

mez said...

Ooh, this sounds interesting! Revenge, broken hearts and broken dreams... please include me in the drawing this week. Thanks, Keli!

worthy2bpraised[at]gmail[dot]com

Keli Gwyn said...

Mez, sounds like you're a fan of revenge stories along with Jessica. I've got you down for the drawing.

Susan Hollaway said...

I'm not big on revenge stories either, but you make the book sound so good, I might have to break down and read one. =)
Thanks for sharing your books, Keli, by having drawings. That's really nice.

Lisa Harris said...

I'm smiling at the comments. Thanks for standing up for my hero, Keli.
He's really a great guy--despite his need for revenge. LOL

Lisa

Jessica said...

LOL!!!!

I bet I'm laughing more because my story is a revenge/secret baby story. I don't like those but I ended up writing it.
I'd LOVE to read yours someday! If you ever need a beta reader, I'm here!!! :-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Susan, thanks for your nice words regarding the review. Even though I wouldn't normally go for a revenge story, I'm a fan of the new Summerside Press line of Love Finds You stories. They are consistently good, just as this one is.

I like the use of the fun settings and the fact that the house is using a variety of talented authors. Through the series, I'm discovering new-to-me names in inspirational fiction, such as Lisa. There are going to be some familiar authors too. According to the Summerside Press blog (http://lovefindsyou.wordpress.com/),Love Finds You in Lahaina, Hawaii by Bodie Thoene and Love Finds You in Golden, New Mexico by Lena Nelson Dooley are coming June 2010.

Keli Gwyn said...

Lisa, how wonderful to have you visit my blog! I agree. Corbin is a great guy, despite his desire for revenge. He shows what he's made of, which is totally hero material. And he's teachable too. Love him!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jesscia, so the truth is out: revenge AND a secret baby. Wow! This sounds like one great read. Sell it so I can read it, OK?

Keli Gwyn said...

One more thing, Jess. You're the winner of my gently read copy of Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio. Congrats! I'll get the package on its way ASAP.

Jessica said...

Woohoo! I'm the winner! :-) Seriously, this series is so interesting to me and I'm looking forward to discovering all these new (to me) authors. :-) Thank you!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, the package is by the door ready to go out in tomorrow's mail. Happy reading!