Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Review of a Great Read: Menu for Romance

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. I invite you to check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

The Review

Menu for Romance by Kaye Dacus

A Sweet Story to Savor


Kaye Dacus has done it again! I had such fun revisiting the fictional town of Bonneterre, Louisiana and spending time with her great cast of characters. The biggest thrill was that party planner Meredith Guidry and executive chef Major O’hara, whom readers met briefly in Dacus’s delightful debut novel, Stand-in Groom, get a story all their own.

Meredith has been secretly in love with Major for eight l-o-n-g years. Both work for her parents’ mega firm, which puts them in the other’s path on a daily basis. She’s his boss, so she has to keep things professional and accept the fact that they’re just friends. Her heart protests regularly, making for an intense struggle. In an act borne of desperation, she asks God to help her get over Major and find the man of her dreams.

Unbeknownst to Meredith, Major is crazy about her and wishes he could make her his wife. However, he harbors a secret he’s afraid would ruin everything. Not only that, but he’s been offered the chance to open his own restaurant and feels it would be unfair to ask her to be his when he’d be working more hours than ever. When Mere meets a handsome contractor who’s not only remodeling her house but building a relationship with the woman Major loves, he’s forced to make a choice. Will he fulfill his lifelong dream, or will he take a risk, trust Mere with the truth and concoct a Menu for Romance?

Dacus tells a wonderful story, one I thoroughly enjoyed from first page to last. Her characters are captivating. I fell hard for Major and admired Meredith’s dedication and determination. And yet I hurt for these two who so obviously want to be together but are kept apart by circumstances they must overcome. Only when they deal with their difficulties and look to God for the answer to their dilemma, can they find peace in His plan for their lives. I heartily recommend Menu for Romance, the second in the Bride of Bonneterre Series, as a story that is sure to satisfy your appetite for a good read.

• • • • •

Two Chances to Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win one of two copies of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose two winners from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winners' names this coming Saturday.

Last Week's Winner

Congrats to Jessica, winner of my gently-read copy of Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio by Lisa Harris.

12 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

You are reviewing such great authors, Keli! I've heard so much about Kaye Dacus. I'd love to read one of hers!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jody, I've followed Kaye's blog for some time and looked forward to her debut novel. I was privileged to have her as a guest at Romance Writers on the Journey when Stand-in Groom released. Once I heard her fun story premise, I signed up to be an influencer. I love her voice, her characters and her plots in this series.

She's got a historical series too, and I'm currently reading the first book, Ransome's Honor, which I'll review in an upcoming post.

Edna said...

Oh Keli I have been looking on the wrong page and it would never change hope I have the correct one now, I really like to read the blogs and interviews.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Keli Gwyn said...

Edna, I changed the name of the blog, which makes things a bit confusing, but you got here and are entered in the drawing. Thanks for your patience and persistence.

Jessica said...

Great review! I'm always hearing about her books so they must be good. :-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I think Kaye has a fresh, clear voice. I like her characters. They aren't perfect, but they're so likable. And she has a great way of working in their unique interests. She used such an interest as a thread to tie the hero, heroine and an important secondary character together in Menu for Romance.

mez said...

I loved Stand-In Groom and can't wait to read Menu for Romance. Kaye has a wonderful way with words! Please include me in the drawing. Thanks!

worthy2bpraised[at]gmail[dot]com

Keli Gwyn said...

Mez,

I enjoyed Stand-in Groom too. I think Menu for Romance is as good or even better. I really like the hero, Chef Major O'hara.

Diane said...

Thank you so much for the opportunity. Love a ggod read!

Keli Gwyn said...

Diane, thanks for stopping by. I've got your name in the drawing.

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations to Diane and Jody, winners of my two copies of Menu for Romance. I'll be in touch.

Keli Gwyn said...

Guess what? Jody emailed me to say she went out and bought Menu for Romance last night and is already enjoying it. She suggested I share the book with another visitor. So, I picked another winner: Mez.

Congratulations, Mez! I'll be in touch.