Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Inspirational Historical #3
Status: 68,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 4,000

.

I had a wonderful time working on my story this week. I deleted an entire chapter and rewrote it, and the result is far better than what I had written before.

Something clicked. I examined the old version of the chapter objectively and realized it lacked tension. Things were going too well for my hero and heroine, so I threw more obstacles in their path. They're not happy with me, but my readers will be.

When I began writing, I balked at the idea of causing my characters pain. When they suffered, I suffered. Now, I realize that in order to take them on their journeys of self-discovery and change, I must be tough on them. They'll be stronger for it and better suited to one another.

I'm looking forward to writing this coming week. I have plans to make life even more difficult for my poor characters and am eager to see how they react.

• • • • •

Do you like adding tension to your stories?

Have you ever felt sorry for your characters when you're tough on them?

As a reader, do you want tension in every chapter, or do you like to see characters get a breather once in a while?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Oooh, I love tension! I love to throw in a twist or obstacle. I don't feel bad for my characters but I don't like hurting them either. I just know they'll get their HEA and everything happening to them is for a purpose and will help them to grow. :-)
Congrats on the revisions!

Cindy said...

I love putting tension in my stories. More so now than when I first started writing :) I don't often feel bad for my characters because I know there's something better to come. I like to see tension in every chapter but it doesn't always have to be with something obvious. It can be as simple as a conflicting thought, a worry. Something a character is dealing with in order to get to a different point in their life. Great questions!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I've been known to tell my characters to hang in there because their HEA is coming. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Cindy, thanks for stopping by. I took a quick look at your blog and Web site. Congrats on your first sale!