Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Violets & Violins
Status: 72,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 1,000


The status bar scarcely moved this week because I focused on editing the first three chapters of V&V and the synopsis in preparation for entering them in contests. I polished the opening of the book until it shone so brightly I had to don sunglasses.

Going back to the beginning of the manuscript after nearing the three-quarter mark proved interesting. My characters have grown, which is as it should be. If they hadn't, they'd never be able to face the hardships coming their way in the final quarter of the book.

I had a pleasant surprise. My writing has improved. This version of the story is far better than the two previous, and I'm happy. Having invested three and a half years in my writing, I'm finally beginning to see real progress.

In addition to prepping the contest entry, I got ahead on some tasks. If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to add several thousand words to V&V this week. I'm ready to reach The End and begin another project. I love my characters and enjoy spending time with them, but those from other stories are vying for my attention.

• • • • •

Do you rejoice at the growth of your characters as I do?

Are there times you return to a work you've not seen for some time and experience the joy of realizing it's better than you remembered?

Have you ever tired of a project and been ready to move on? How do you maintain your momentum when you feel the pull to start something else?


13 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I love this line: "I polished the opening of the book until it shone so brightly I had to don sunglasses."

Doesn't it feel great when our eyes hurt in a good way over our writing!

I definitely need to give projects a break at certain points to get a clearer persepctive and then go back to them. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to write, you just have to be willing to do what is necessary--breaks and all.

Jessica said...

Yes, I do like it when I go back and the book isn't as horrible as I thought it would be. LOL

Congrats on your editing! Here's to some more finals... :-)

Anne Barton said...

Keli, good luck on upping your word count this week. That's my goal too.

Jessica, I feel the same way as you. :) There are days I'm happy if I can just put my nouns and verbs together in some semblance of a sentence.

Have a fun, productive week!

Keli Gwyn said...

Eileen, your comment made me smile. It's always nice to hear that someone likes our writing.

I'm with you on needing perspective. When I return to my work with fresh eyes, I see things so much more clearly--both the good and the not-so-hot. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I'm sure your writing is far better than you give yourself credit for. We writers do tend to be our own worst critics at times, don't we?

I'd like some more finals for both of us. Have you been entering any contests lately?

Keli Gwyn said...

Anne, your recent mega-pages week inspired me. I want to see that meter do more than crawl. We'll see how I do.

Jill Kemerer said...

I always love the book I'm writing, but I too, can't wait to start a new project! Congrats on your progress!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jill, I love spending time with my current characters, but sometimes those from other books get downright jealous and do their best to convince me I should work on their stories. :)

Danica/Dream said...

Congrats on your progress!!

Keli Gwyn said...

Danica, thanks for stopping by. Hope your writing is going well.

Jody Hedlund said...

It is so hard to keep up our momentum at times. But I'm a driven personality type, so I just put my head down and plow forward!

Diane said...

Sounds like good progress!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jody, you're a great example of how hard work and dedication pay off.

Diane, thanks for stopping by and being an encouragement.