Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Violets & Violins
Status: 76,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 4,000


The biggest news this week is that Violets & Violins finaled in its second contest.

Thursday morning I received a call from the inspirational category coordinator for
Northwest Houston RWA's Lone Star contest. Elizabeth Pina was a guest at my other blog, Romance Writers on the Journey. Hearing the good news from a writer friend made my excitement even greater.

I shared the news on Facebook and Twitter and was overwhelmed by the number of comments I received. So many wonderful people joined in my happy dance that I was overwhelmed. My thanks go out to each one who celebrated with me.

Writing can be a challenging undertaking. We deal with doubt, discouragement and disappointment. When good news arrives, I experience a surge of confidence.

With two finals, I feel pressure to complete the rewrite as quickly as possible in the event that a final judge makes a request. I'm a person who works well with deadlines, so I'll be busy making my writing meter move.

• • • • •

What good things have been happening for you?
Please share so I can squee with you.

Please don't limit yourself to first sales, agent signings or contest finals.
I want to hear about pages added, helpful critique partner feedback, a scene that came together and put a smile on your face . . .
The little victories are just as important as the big ones.

20 comments:

Jessica said...

That's SO awesome! :-) I missed the facebook announcements.
Good things for me... hmmm... lol. Well, I hibernated a little from my manuscript so I'm fixing to go over it again. Hopefully I won't find too many huge problems with it. :-)

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I'm twirling around and shouting with glee for you!! Way to go!!

I'm excited about my new book. Got lots of pages of notes, research and an interview. Now the task of putting it all together! The exciting part is that my characters are writing all kinds of story lines I hadn't thought of!! I feel like I'm in the middle of a soap opera!! Stay tuned!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I find that taking some time away from a manuscript enables me to return better able to see things clearly. I wish you well on your editing.

And thanks for joining my happy dance.

Keli Gwyn said...

Donna, how fun to have you join in my celebration. Thought I heard your shouts. :)

Congrats on your progress. Starting a new book feels so good, especially when it's going so well, doesn't it? Gotta love it when your characters take over and have so much say. When that happens, I do my best to capture their thoughts, words and actions pronto.

Cindy said...

Congratulations on the contest! What an amazing accomplishment.

I finished an edit, which was pretty exciting because I've been putting off my new WIP to do so. My critique group is still doing critiques on it but at least I have completed pages to send them.

Have a great day!

Keli Gwyn said...

Cindy, thanks for sharing in my excitement. Celebrations are so much more fun with friends.

Congrats on finishing that edit and getting the pages off to your CPs. Hope they love your story. Have fun getting back to your wip.

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

that's great about the final! i'm waiting to hear back from some myself.

husband started school today, so that's really good! :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Jeannie, thanks for the congrats. Hope I'm sending some your way soon.

My hubby's a teacher. Is yours? Hope he has a great first day back.

sherrinda said...

Keli!!!!! That is so totally awesome! I hadn't heard and I am definitely doing the happy dance with you! What a wonderful confidence booster and validation of all your hard work! May God bring to fruition the work he has set before you! :)

Nothing accomplished writing-wise, but I got through the first day of school with a smile on my face. I am thinking my long hours are about over. I even had supper with my family tonight! :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda, thanks for joining in my happy dance and for your kind words.

I'm so glad to hear that the first day of school went well, that your long hours of OT in a stifling office are over and that you got to enjoy dinner with your family. No doubt things went smoothly in large part due to your hard work getting all the students into the system. Enjoy your return to a more relaxed life.

Jill Kemerer said...

Another contest final!! Woo-hoo!! Congratulations!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jill, thanks for sharing the excitement of my good news.

Jody Hedlund said...

Congrats, Keli! I saw the announcement on Jessica's blog! It is such a surge of confidence! Now time to take advantage of being in the spotlight. Send out the queries while you're hot!!

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks for sharing in my joy, Jody. I'm eager to share in yours too.

Terri Tiffany said...

I heard the news about you over on Jessica's blog! COngrats!!!

Keli Gwyn said...

Terri,

Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing in my excitement.

Lynnette Labelle said...

That's so great! Congrats! *crossing fingers for ya*

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Edna said...

I sure would hate to know I had to write that many words in a day or a week or month, I might could do the words, but they sure would not be a story, LOL
But I sure can read that many would love to win a book.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Keli Gwyn said...

Lynnette, thanks for stopping by and joining in my happy dance.

Keli Gwyn said...

Edna,

We writers love to hear about devoted readers who appreciate those words we work so hard to produce. I hope you're reading my stories and those of my blog buddies one day.