Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Review of a Great Read: Montana Rose

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. I invite you to check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

.

The Review

.

Montana Rose Moved Me


If the name Mary Connealy is on the cover of a book, I know I’m in for a good read. Having cracked up as I hightailed it through Petticoat Ranch and Calico Canyon, I was fully prepared to chuckle my way though Montana Rose as well. To my surprise, I found this historical to be delightfully different. While some scenes launched me into laughter, Montana Rose offers more than mere entertainment. Connealy has crafted a story with an important message, but she conveys it with such skill and finesse that I was swept into this heartwarming tale and enjoyed every moment with her engaging characters.


Cassie Griffin loses her husband one day, and at his burial the next, the many bachelors in her tiny Montana territory town vie for the opportunity to wed the silk-clad, seemingly spoiled woman they refer to as the China Doll. When the ruthless rancher with the largest spread claims the right to marry her, god-fearing Red Dawson feels led to protect her and proposes, despite the fact that she’s not a believer. Pregnant and penniless, Cassie chooses the lesser of two evils and accepts. While Red attempts to live his life as a testimony of his faith, Cassie seeks to mold herself into the wife she thinks he wants, just as she did with her controlling, abusive first husband. Scenes when Cassie attempts to learn new skills showcase Connealy’s trademark humor, but others moved me at a deep level as Red exhibits the patience of Job while dealing with his attraction to his beautiful, bungling bride.


Of the Connealy books I’ve read so far, Montana Rose stands out as my favorite. I love Red’s godly character, his devotion to Cassie, and witnessing her journey to wholeness and healing as she learns to accept the love of the Lord and her new husband. I heartily recommend this book.

.

• • • • •

.

What Do You Think?

.

Do you enjoy stories in which the heroine learns a valuable life lesson?

.

Do you enjoy stories that blend humor with an important message?

.

Your Chance to Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win my gently read copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose a winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winners' names this coming Saturday.

.


Last Week's Winner


Congrats to Terri Tiffany, winner of No Place for a Lady by Maggie Brendan.


22 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome! I just bought this one!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. Red is my kind of hero.

Diane said...

It slightly reminds me of an Evelyn Christensen book that I read recently. The husband is strong and wonderful and the wife sees God through him. :O)

sherrinda said...

I so enjoyed this book! Cassie's journey from a wound young woman to a lady who can speak for herself without fear was very moving for me. I thought Mary did an excellent job in bringing Cassie through to healing. Red WAS indeed patient, wasn't he? My, my, he was sweet!

Keli Gwyn said...

Diane, Mary's hero, Red, is indeed "strong and wonderful." He lives his faith and, in so doing, is a shining example to Cassie of what a difference faith in the Lord makes.

Sherrinda, wasn't witnessing Cassie's healing awesome? Mary tackled a tough subject and handled it with tenderness and tact. And you're right about Red. He's all male, but heroes don't come any sweeter. I've got a guy like that who blesses me beyond belief.

Susan Hollaway said...

Great review, Keli, on what sounds like a great book! It sounds like one I'd really like.

Mary Connealy said...

Hi ladies.

I so appreciate the kind words about Montana Rose.

Tackling Cassie was something intimidated me because I so wanted to do her right. Really deal with the emotional aftermath of someone who'd been abused.

And of course, Wade was in the same fix as Cassie and handling it in his own self-destructive way.

And Red Dawson? Well, he's the perfect man and every man should change to be just like him immediately. :)

Even he battled with enjoying Cassie's obedience though. It was hard to resist the feeling of power that gave him.

Good luck in the drawing.

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Montana Rose ~ it's one of my new faves! Read my review here:

http://someofmyfavoritebooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/book-review-montana-rose-montana.html

Thank you ~ Lori

G.R.I.T.S. said...

O I've been looking for this one!!! I hope to win, please enter me into your drawing!!!

I love your site btw!

G.R.I.T.S.!!!

raebyuel(@)gmail(.)com

Keli Gwyn said...

Lori, I enjoyed your review. You have a lovely blog.

G.R.I.T.S. ~ I'm sure you'll enjoy Mary's book. It's a great read with wonderful characters, a moving story and Mary's trademark touches of humor.

Buukluvr81 said...

Please enter me in this giveaway! Thanks!

Mollydawn1981/at/aol/dot/com

connie e said...

Sounds great! Please consider me entered!

connieed53/at/aol/dot/com

Little Lady said...

I CANNOT wait to read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virginia C said...

Hello! Yes, I enjoy seeing the heroine learn a life lesson. Sometimes, I learn the same lesson right along with the heroine! Humor is sometimes the most appropriate way to handle a difficult situation or deliver an important message. I'd love to win Montana Rose! gcwhiskas at aol dot com

Anonymous said...

I've heard so much good reviews about this book. I just never win. Hope i can have the chance here :)
Mariska
uniquas at ymail dot com

Keli Gwyn said...

Mariska, thanks for stopping by. I'm sure the reason you're reading so many good reviews of Montana Rose is because Mary has written a great book. I have no doubt whoever wins this copy will enjoy reading her story. And that could be you. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks to Buuklovr81, Connie E and Little Lady for stopping by my blog. You're entered in the drawing.

Virginia, like you, I enjoy learning a life lesson along with an author's character. This book has some valuable ones, but Mary couches them in an enjoyable and sometimes humorous story. You're entered as well.

Brenda said...

Yes I like books where the heroine learns a good lesson and yes I like humor included!

dancealert at aol dot com

Keli Gwyn said...

Brenda, sounds like Mary's book is one you're sure to enjoy because it has both elements--and much more.

flchen1 said...

Hi, Keli! I've enjoyed Mary's previous books--Montana Rose sounds like a great next one! I have it on the TBB in case I don't win ;)


Thanks for the review!

--Fedora
f dot chen at comcast dot net

Keli Gwyn said...

Fedora, thanks for stopping by. Hope things are going well with you.

Keli Gwyn said...

It's time to announce the winner of Montana Rose. Congratulations, Virginia C! You're the one. I'll be in touch.