Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Review of a Great Read: No Place for a Lady

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. I invite you to check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

.

The Review

.

A Lady and a Cowboy Clash


Maggie Brendan’s debut novel, No Place for a Lady, combines many elements that make for a great historical read: a pampered Southern belle, an ambitious cowboy on her aunt’s cattle ranch, love interests who come between them, tragedy, conflicts and surprises. Set against the breathtaking backdrop of the Colorado Rockies, the story begins when Crystal Clark arrives at her Aunt Kate’s spread following the death of her father. Thrust into the rigors of life in the West, Crystal struggles to discover God’s plan for her future. Does she embrace this new adventure and admit her attraction to her aunt’s rugged, hardworking ranch foreman, Luke Weber, or return to Georgia where she knows what to expect and what’s expected of her?


Luke wants a ranch of his own, and marrying the local cattle baron’s daughter will give him that. But first, he has to get the cattle to market with the so-called help of Crystal, Kate’s seemingly fragile and yet feisty niece who’s captured his attention. Torn between following his dream and heeding the call of his heart, he struggles to find answers. Only when he looks to the Lord for them is peace possible.


Discovering a new writer whose work I enjoy is a treat. Brendan has earned a place on my Sure-to-please Authors’ list. I like her characters, her heartwarming tale and her storytelling ability. I’m looking forward to the second book in her Heart of the West series when readers will discover what the future holds for a secondary character who was dealt a blow in No Place for a Lady.

.

• • • • •

.

What Do You Think?

.

Are you a fan of cowboy stories? If so, what is it about these rugged men that makes them such appealing characters?

.

Do you enjoy stories in which the hero and heroine are kept apart because one or both are committed to another character?

.

Do you enjoy stories that take place in the Wild West? If so, which states are your favorites settings?

.

.

Your Chance to Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win my gently read copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose a winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winners' names this coming Saturday.

.

Last Week's Winner


Congrats to Kristen Torres-Toro, winner of Protector's Honor by Kit Wilkinson.

15 comments:

sherrinda said...

You are always reading! I read everyday, but can't seem to get a book read in a week. I get too sleepy at night, which is when I allow myself to lose myself in a book. I brought back sooo many books from the library, with little hope of ever getting them all read, but I love to pile them in my book bag! :)

How much do you read every day?

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

WOOOHOOO!!! Thank you!!! This made my gloomy-weathered Saturday!

Lynnette Bonner said...

Oh yes, I'm a fan of cowboy stories! :) I have no idea why... lol.

Oh, yes, when you know 2 characters are supposed to be together but they are kept apart it adds to the tension. Gotta love it! :)

I think Montana, would have to be my favorite. Oregon and Idaho would cut close seconds, because I've lived in both places. Washington, I live in now, but you don't read too many cowboy stories set in Washington. :) Maybe I'll have to write one. :)

Amy De Trempe said...

I can't believe how many books you read. But I am so glad you do because I love your reviews. I am not a huge fan of cowboys, but that is because I tend to read early 1800s, and set across the ocean. However, you've mentioned enough good books that my time period and setting preferences are changing. The Southern Belle transplanted in Colorado sounds very intriguing. I do like stories where at least one of the characters is committed to another because usually they are committed for all the wrong reasons and I love when they realize that it is true love for which they should marry and not because of what they could gain from marriage.

Jessica said...

Sounds like a great story! Since I'm in Colorado right now, I think it's funny that the grass on the cover is kind of yellow. I was surprised when I got here at the color.

Keli Gwyn said...

Sherrinda, I reward myself for the day's accomplishments with a Calgon experience in the evening while I enjoy a few chapters of a book. I used to have difficulty justifying my reading time, but now it serves three purposes: pleasure, keeping abreast of what's being published in my genre and providing me with a way to let others know about great books I've discovered through my reviews. Because I expanded my reasons for reading, I reduced my guilt for taking time from other things.

Keli Gwyn said...

Kristen, I hope you enjoy reading Protector's Honor as much as I did.

Keli Gwyn said...

Lynnette, I'm not surprised to hear you like cowboy stories, since your debut novel, Rocky Mountain Oasis, is a historical about an Idaho rancher and his mail-order bride. I've got your book on my TBR shelf and look forward to reading it.

Keli Gwyn said...

Amy, sounds like you're a Regency fan, a genre much different than cowboys tales. I've recently rediscovered Regencies, having read Georgette Heyer when I was much younger, so I will review stories from your favorite period at times.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, I hope you had a wonderful time in Colorado at the ACFW Conference. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Terri Tiffany said...

I used to read that era but haven't in so long! Loved them when I did. Now I read mostly contemporary for some reason. Good review!

Keli Gwyn said...

Terri, although I'm partial to historicals, I read some contemporaries, too, and will be posting reviews of them as well.

Edna said...

I really like the look of this book "No Place for A Lady" and would love to win it, please enter me.

May God bless

mamat2730@charter.net

Keli Gwyn said...

You're entered, Edna. :) I think you'd like the story, especially if you like historicals set in the American West.

Keli Gwyn said...

It's time to announce the winner of No Place for a Lady: Terri Tiffany.

Congratulations, Terri. I'll be in touch.