Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review of a Great Read: Protector's Honor

Long before I began writing, I was a voracious reader of romances. I still love a great story, and there are many wonderful authors writing them. I invite you to check back on Saturdays when I share my reviews of some books I've enjoyed recently, both historical and contemporary.

.

The Review


Award-winning Suspense Scores


Each year the Romance Writers of America® holds a contest called the Golden Heart® to discover the best romance manuscripts available in the U.S. and abroad. In 2008, Kit Wilkinson’s story took the top award in the inspirational category and sold two months later. I waited a year for the release of Protector’s Honor, knowing the book would be a winner, and my wait was rewarded with an action-packed read that kept me turning the pages until two in the morning.


When Tabitha Beaumont screams, NCIS agent Rory Farrell comes to her rescue, averting an abduction attempt. The handsome hero with a big heart that’s gone out to Tabitha learns shortly thereafter about a connection between her and his latest murder investigation. Soon it becomes clear her life is in danger due to vital information she doesn’t even know she possesses, and Rory steps in to protect her. Evidence points to possible involvement of someone dear to Tabitha, and in a moment of weakness, she gives in to her growing feelings for Rory and divulges a secret. In order to ensure her safety, he’s forced to choose between betraying her trust and following his heart.


Wilkinson’s story takes off at a fast clip and hurtles from one scene to the next. Each time I thought things might settle down, another twist or turn transpired, keeping me off balance and racing for the end to find out how these two likable people deal with impending disaster. If you enjoy a riveting romance with a heaping helping of suspense and strong characters who entrust their uncertain futures to the Lord, I recommend Protector’s Honor.


• • • • •


What Do You Think?


Do you enjoy romantic suspense? If so, what is it about these riveting reads that captivates you?


What qualities do you like to see in the main characters of a romantic suspense?

When was the last time a book kept you up until the wee hours?



Your Chance to Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win a brand new copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose a winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winners' names this coming Saturday.



Last Week's Winner

Congrats to Marissa, winner of an elegant apple green metal bookmark that reads: faith ~ now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1.

8 comments:

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hi, Keli! That book sounds awesome! Thanks for the review! Have a great day!

Laura Frantz said...

Keli,
It's so neat to have you spotlight different books like this! My TBR pile is tremendous and you get partial credit:) Bless you!

Keli Gwyn said...

Kristen and Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I've look forward to reading Protector's Honor for an entire year.

Kit was a finalist in the Golden Heart® contest in 2008 when I was. I felt sure she'd win and clapped so hard when her name was called at the Awards Ceremony at the Romance Writers of America® national conference held in San Francisco that my palms stung.

I cheered again when she sold her winning manuscript two months later. Between the conference and her sale, she battled Guillain Barré syndrome, a disorder that left her almost entirely paralyzed. Her recovery was fueled by the prayers of many, and the Lord has blessed her with restored health.

If you'd like to learn more about Kit, you can visit Kit's Web site. I was privileged to interview her twice on my other blog, Romance Writers on the Journey, once in January of this year and again in September.

Keli Gwyn said...

Sorry about the broken link to Kit's site in my last comment. I just learned from a friend how to put a link in a comment, and I managed to muff my first attempt. Here's the corrected link to Kit's Web site.

Laura Frantz said...

Keli,
That's what I love about you - you really do cheer other writers on with heartfelt enthusiasm and that's a real gift. May we all be so generous and loving in our support of one another!

Anonymous said...

Keli,
Thank you for the book mark. I have visited your site a few times because of a dear friend of mine, Diane. She knows I love to read historical christian novels and told me to sign up for some of your giveaways.
Thanks again,
Marissa

Keli Gwyn said...

Marissa, you're most welcome. I read lots of inspirational historical romances, so you're sure to see more reviewed as the weeks go by.

Diane, thanks for the recommendation.

Keli Gwyn said...

I held the drawing for a copy of Protector's Honor, and Kristen is the winner. Congrats, Kristen! I'll be in touch.