Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Violets & Violins
Status: 98,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: 8,000


Even though the status bar indicates I'm nearly finished with the rewrite, I still have several chapters to go. As I've mentioned before, the book is going to be long and require some cutting. I'm prepared to wield the scalpel and even to pull out the meat cleaver if necessary, knowing that tightening the story will only serve to improve it.

I received a call from the coordinator of The Heart of the Rockies contest this week. Violets & Violins finaled in the inspirational category. I'm pleased to see this story doing so well and earning me the right to have it seen by the top-notch agents and editors who have so generously offered to serve as the final judges.

Because I appreciate the opportunity to get feedback on my story and the chance to have it seen by industry professionals should it final, I prepared and sent three more contest submissions this week.

• • • • •

How was your writing week? Do you have good news to share?


12 comments:

Jessica said...

So far so good. :-) I'm almost done inputting my edits, fixing typos, etc. Then I'm going to have some people read it while I'm at the conference. :-)

Congrats on the final! :-)

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Congrats on making finals! Way to go!

I'm waiting on second interview, finished outline, first interview notes, research and character profiles. Ready to start this morning on first chapter of second book. Long way to go but excited about it. Got a couple of short stories in revision and hope to submit soon.

sherrinda said...

You are so close to finishing those edits! You are so disciplined. I'm sad to say that I haven't started my edits. I don't know if I am still recouperating from all my overtime, but I haven't wanted to do anything but read and watch movies. My escapism of choice. (wish it was writing!)

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Wow, Keli, congrats on the good news! Where are you finding these contests?

Have a great labor day!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jessica, congrats on getting your edit finished. I hope your CPs love your story.

Donna, thanks for celebrating with me. How fun to be embarking on your second book. Do you know exactly where you're heading plotter-style, or will you be enjoying the thrill of the story unfolding as you go the way a pantser does?

Sherrinda, I think you deserve a break after your intense weeks getting the school year started. Once you're rested, I predict you'll be ready to dive into your edits with renewed enthusiasm.

Kristen, thanks for joining my happy dance. I find the contests in the Romance Writers Report put out by Romance Writers of America®, on the RWA contests loop and on blogs. One in particular, The Seekers, does a monthly contest update, which is very informative. Here's the link to the most recent one.: http://seekerville.blogspot.com/2009/08/september-contest-update.html

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Wow, Keli, another final! How many does that make now? Three at least, right? Are they all for the same ms? You go girl!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Keli Gwyn said...

Eileen, yes. This fianl makes three--all for my inspirational historical Violets and Violins. I've smiled so much the past month my jaws are sore. :)

Anne Barton said...

Hi Keli--I love seeing your status bar so close to The End. Congrats on yet another final, and my fingers are crossed for V&V in the final rounds.

Terri Tiffany said...

You do really well! How do you find so many contests to submit to? You also wrote a lot this week! YAY! I plan to get at it right now!

Keli Gwyn said...

Anne, thanks for sharing in my joy. Any finals I receive are due in part to your great suggestions.

Terri, once a month The Seekers blog runs a contest update. I also find contests listed in the Romance Writers Report, the magazine members of Romance Writers of America receive.

Jill Kemerer said...

I'm so excited for you! And I'm sending you some virtual chocolate to get through those revisions. They can take forever! Have a great weekend!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jill, thanks for the virtual chocolate. Love it. I can indulge to my heart's content and it won't go to waist. :)