Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Review of Great Read: Dreaming of Home

Heartwarming Tale of Coming Home


Glynna Kaye’s debut novel, Dreaming of Home, is delightful. From first page to last, I enjoyed every minute I spent reading this tale of love triumphing over trials. Kaye’s endearing characters captured me from the start, and I rushed through the book, eager to see them overcome the challenges keeping them apart and find the future the Lord has in store for them. If you like a sweet, gentle romance with heart, this story is for you.


Widower Joe Diaz returns to his hometown determined to be a great dad to his little boy, whom he’d rarely seen during his Navy days. Still grieving and anxious to provide for his son, he has no time for a relationship with his pretty and pleasant new neighbor. Meg McGuire has come to the same small Arizona mountain community to rebuild her life after disease and a broken relationship shattered her world, only to discover that the handsome father of her Sunday school student is vying for the same teaching position she is. Can she keep herself from falling for the one man who can destroy her dreams?


Special Note


I was privileged to judge Glynna’s story in the 2008 Golden Pen contest. As I read, I knew I’d discovered a gem. My comments to her read, “I fully expect to see your book on the shelves in the near future. You’ve got a winner.”


When the entry finaled, I was happy. When I learned that final judge Melissa Endlich from Steeple Hill had requested the manuscript and bought it, I was elated. This is the first time I’ve seen an entry I judged go on to sell, and it’s both exciting and rewarding. When I received the autographed copy of Dreaming of Home that Glynna sent as a surprise, I moved it to the top of my TBR mountain and savored her story without delay.


If you’d like to hear more about Glynna’s journey to publication, you can read her interview at my other blog, Romance Writers on the Journey. I’ll be publishing the post October 8th.


• • • • •

What Do You Think?


Do you enjoy contemporary romances set in small towns?


Do you like having young children in the stories you read?


Have you ever judged a contest entry you felt was ready for publication?


Have you ever had the thrill of seeing a contest entry you judged in print?

.

Your Chance to Win a Book

If you enjoy reading inspirational romances, leave a comment for your chance to win a brand new copy of the title I just reviewed. Be sure to include your email address when prompted, so I can contact you. (I don't share this information.)

I'll choose a winner from all those who leave a comment by the Friday after the post and will post the winners' names this coming Saturday.

.

Last Week's Winner


Congrats to Virginia C, winner of Montana Rose by Mary Connealy.

7 comments:

Susan Anne Mason said...

Hi Keli,

Thanks for reviewing this book for me! LOL. It sounds great.

I really enjoy inspirational romance (as well as write it). I love the family stories set in small towns where everyone knows everyone. So different from the city where I live.

So Glynna's book sounds right up my alley.

And congrats again on your final in this year's Golden Pen. Hope the same scenario happens for you.

Cheers,

Sue
sbmason (at) sympatico (dot) ca

Jarmara Falconer said...

Sound like a wonderful book

Amy De Trempe said...

I tend to read more historical than contemporary romances. They were also on the other side of the ocean but I have broadened to the west from your reviews and I may need to move into the present to if I read more great reviews. I guess it is time I branch out. I've never judgeda contest.

Keli Gwyn said...

Sue, I think you'll like Glynna's book. Her characters are so likable, including the hero's five-year-old son Davy. And thanks for sharing in my excitement regarding the Golden Pen.

Jarmara, I agree!

Amy, like you, I gravitate to historicals, but I enjoy a sweet contemporary. I even read my first romantic suspense recently and liked it too. As for contests, I find judging them to be a rewarding experience.

Keli Gwyn said...

I held the drawing, and the winner of a brand new copy of Dreaming of Home by Glynna Kaye is Jarmara Falconer.

Congrats, Jamara! I'll be in touch.

Jarmara Falconer said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you, Keli.

Keli Gwyn said...

Jarmara, you are most welcome. I hope you enjoy Glynna's story as much as I did.