Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

Major Revision/Rewrite of Violets & Violins
Status: 101,000 words out of 100,000

Words added/rewritten this week: ??

I honestly don't know how many words I added or rewrote this week. I received feedback from a contest and went to work incorporating some of the excellent suggestions from my judges into the first chapters in preparation for another contest entry. I think the tweaking helped and felt good about sending the file to the coordinator, which I did with very few minutes to spare.

Good news rained upon me this week. I'm talking a deluge of delight. On Thursday I learned that Violets & Violins finaled in The Golden Pen.

Last night a kind and generous writer friend at the Georgia Romance Writers' Moonlight & Magnolias conference, Walt Mussell, called me on his cell phone and put it on speaker so I could hear the results of The Unpublished Maggies as they were announced. They started with the honorable mentions and made their way through the placements in reverse order. To my surprise, my name was the last one called in the inspirational category. My story took first place in The Maggies!

Walt held the phone up to the mic, and I got to convey my thanks. My Toastmaster pals would have been disappointed in me, I'm afraid. I don't think what I said made a whole lot of sense because I was in a state of shock. Getting words out was a challenge since my throat was thick and I was attempting to hold back the tears of joy ready to pour forth. I hope I thanked everyone I intended to, but I'm not sure.

I've been writing nearly four years, so this flood of good news feels mighty good. I'm still in "Is this really happening to me?" mode. I fear I'll wake up tomorrow and find myself several shades of purple and blue from pinching myself. :)

• • • • •

When have you been so blessed words failed you?






13 comments:

sherrinda said...

Keli, I am so thrilled for all the success you are having! I am sure the validation of winning makes your heart soar and just confirms God's gifting to you. Congratulations!

As for the last time blessings choked me up and gave me no words...well, it was when our little church plant of 3 years closed its doors this spring. The encouraging words from our church family and the affirmation given was such a blessing during a time of doubt and feelings of failure. God spoke through those precious souls and I felt His love.

Diane said...

So happy and proud for you. In as much as I know you, you do emulate God and try to do His will and work. So glad you found your gifting and are using it for His glory. I pray many more books and contests for you. Hugs! :O)

Katie Ganshert said...

Congrats, Kelli! What a blessing and what an affirmation! Celebrating with you!

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Congratulations!

Laura Frantz said...

I'm not surprised, Keli! The Lord is really blessing you and filling your empty nest with his best! Thinking of you.

Susan Anne Mason said...

Keli,

What an accomplishment! Congratulations! I think you will be the next Pixie getting "The Call"!!

Enjoy every moment.

Sue

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Awesome! Congrats full of confetti, screams of excitement and lots of hugs to you! Way to go!

When I won an award last year for my writing, I was so overcome that I walked away from the stage and mic and forgot to say my prepared speech. I was able to get out a big "thank you" and then cried!!!!

Edna said...

I haven't written any words but am trying to learn how to diginize on my embroidery machine, just bought the program and it is harder than I thought it would be, this old brain don't work like it used too.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Kit Wilkinson said...

YAY Keli!!! And Walt said you did very well. So happy for you!

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

CONGRATS!! that's so incredible. smiling really big for you, keli. :)

I wanted to let you know about my blog address change. *sigh* If you're following me, my posts now won't show up in your feed, dashboard, sidebar, whatever. So please forgive me, but you'll have to change the address for my main writing blog, Where Romance Meets Therapy, to http://jeanniecampbell.blogspot.com. To do this, you have to "unfollow" me and follow me again. Sorry for the confusion!

Jeannie
The Character Therapist

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Keli, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

That is so exciting! I'm so happy for you! You need to go out and celebrate big time. Tell me you've submitted this story to agents or houses by now. Tell me it's so!!

I need to read it in print!

Jill Kemerer said...

I'm sorry I'm so late in finding this--but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is sooo awesome!!

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks to everyone who's stopped by to celebrate with me. It's taken days for me to stop pinching myself. Now that I've received the Maggie Medallion and Certificate, my win feels a bit more real. Now to put the final touches on my story, incorporating the excellent suggestions from my Golden Pen and Maggie judges, and send Violets & Violins out into the world.