Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap

After two weeks battling a pesky bug, I'm resurfacing. I've missed you, my blogging buddies, and look forward to catching up on your news.

The hardest part about being sick was that I was unable to attend the Homecoming Festivities at our daughter's university last weekend. I'd looked forward to seeing her and was heartsick when Gwynly headed off for the college without me. Even though my decision to stay home was a good one, I had a hard time making it. Thank goodness for cell phones and text messaging, which allow me to keep in touch with The Fashion Queen. Provided I continue to improve as I have been, I'll get to see her one day this week for a mom-daughter outing.

Despite spending much of my time sprawled on the couch and feeling cloudy-headed from cold meds recently, I managed to work on Violets & Violins in small snatches. I have the first 200 pages polished and ready for my critique partners.

Last week, I received this gorgeous plaque from The Heart of the Rockies contest coordinators, which brightened my day. What a lovely addition it made to the wall above my writing desk.

Yesterday, I received a call from the inspirational category coordinator from The Lone Star Contest, who shared the good news that Violets & Violins took first place.

• • • • •

Since I was laid low these past two weeks and have been unable to make my visits to the blogs and Yahoo! groups I frequent, I'd love to hear how you're doing so I can celebrate your good news and commiserate on your challenges. And to anyone suffering with sickness, you have my sympathy.

17 comments:

Diane said...

I was just thinking I needed to check on you and see if everything is all right. Sorry for the sickness, but glad you are feeling better. I got it late yesterday and am not enjoying the headache and stiff joints. The plaque is beautiful and you should be very proud of all your hard work! :O)

Laura Frantz said...

Keli,
So glad you're better and back in action, so to speak:) What a beautiful award!! Love that blue and your lovely title. What a blessing that is. It's always so good to see what the Lord is doing in your life. Bless you this week.

Keli Gwyn said...

Diane,

I'm so sorry to hear you've got The Crud. Sounds like yours is more of a flu than mine though. Take good care of yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

Keli Gwyn said...

Laura,

Thanks for your kind words. I love the blue in the photo, too, but what's odd is that the actual color of the metal plate is black. Wonder if it reflected the gorgeous sky overhead. We've having a splendid fall day.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

This is one winner of a book, Keli! Another final. Wow. Congratulations. Can't wait to see it in print.

Will you tell us what it's about? A back cover blurb sort of speak.

Glad to hear you're mending. Colds and flu are no fun and such a pain to endure. Hope you have a great time with your daughter later this week, Keli!

Missed you, but glad to see you back in the swing.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Wow! Congrats on your writing awards! That's awesome! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Jessica said...

I'm fine here. ;-)

I was wondering where you were, but it didn't even cross my mind that you might be sick. :-( I'm glad you're feeling better now though. That plaque is gorgeous!! Congrats on the lonestar placing too. :-)

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Yuk on being ill and also missing the homecoming with your daughter. How miserable for you!

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Mucho hugs and congrats on the beautiful award! Way to go girlfriend!

Sarah Tormey said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I've been lying low and focusing on writing and revising without the web to distract me:) Congrats on your first place finish!

Edna said...

The bug is here in the south also, my husband is just getting over it, hope I don't get it, my daughter's family had it and it took them about 3 weeks for it to go around all 4 and to get to feeling better.

Hope you are on the mend

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Anne Barton said...

Hi Keli! Thanks for posting a photo of the gorgeous plaque. To me, it most definitely looks *violet*! Love it.

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better. I am too. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Eileen,

Thanks for celebrating with me.

I've not written my query letter yet, so I don't have a back cover blurb. The story is set in the year 1870 and takes place in the Mother Lode town of El Dorado, California. Here's my first attempt at an elevator pitch: A determined widow comes west to assume a partnership, but the handsome merchantile owner rejects her because she's a woman.

Keli Gwyn said...

Kristen, Jessica, Sarah and Donna, thanks for sharing in my excitement and for the get well wishes.

Edna, I'm sorry to hear that your family has been battling The Crud. Hope it's soon a thing of the past. I'm ready to bid this croupy cough farewell. I sound like I'm hacking up hair balls. Not pretty.

Anne, I'm glad you like the plaque. Your take on it looking violet works for me. :-) Don't understand why it picked up the color the way it did when I took it outdoors, since it looks black inside. Guess that's a question for my science teacher hubby, huh?

Robynn Tolbert said...

I am sorry you've been sick. I knew you weren't blogging, but like Jessica I didn't consider illness as a reason. Being a daughter, I know she missed you but she's glad you took considered your own health. She only has one mom, and she doesn't want her broken :) I'm entering my first book contest tomorrow. Has me a little freaked out, but I'm coping.

Keli Gwyn said...

Robynn, how exciting that you're entering your first contest. Taking that step can be scary, but I learn so much from the feedback my contest judges give me, as I'm sure you will. I award you mega bravery points.

Susan Hollaway said...

Congrats on the contest and your book! I'm was so sorry to hear that you were sick, but am glad that you're definitely on the mend.

I have something for you on my blog today.

Blessings,
Susie

Carla Gade said...

Keli, congrats on your award! How exciting! I'm glad your on the mend.