Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap: Dreams

I've heard of writers who dream of the day they get published. Literal while-they-sleep dreams about getting a request, an offer of representation or even The Call.

Me? I dream about my characters, scenes I'm working on or, on occasion, upcoming conferences. But until recently, I'd never had a dream that involved a publishing professional.

That changed last week. I had my first ever dream about talking with an agent who was interested in representing me, an agent who was gracious, kind and helpful. One who exhibited professionalism, was personable and put me at ease, all at the same time. One I'd be thrilled to have represent me.

I awoke wondering if one day that dream will become reality.
It could happen, right? Sometimes dreams do come true.

I have a ray of hope.


This weekend I received two calls telling me about additional requests for my full manuscript, taking the number up to four. I was so excited after the second call, I got carried away in my happy dancing and bit my lip. My minor injury didn't stop me from beaming though.

When I entered Violets & Violins in contests this fall, I had hoped for a final or two and even dared to dream of a top placement. But to get requests? I'd hardly dared hope for that. And yet it's happened to me. I'm still pinching myself and smiling broadly despite my fat lip.

I've been hesitant to share the news of my requests, but I have permission from the contest coordinators to go public. Since many of you reading my blog are writers, too, I offer my news as encouragement. I've invested four years in my writing, and I'm seeing my hard work pay off. It can happen, and it's my hope that each of you see the rewards of your diligence and devotion to your writing. I love sharing in your happy dances, although in the future I think I'll keep my mouth closed when I do them. :-)

I've attempted to enjoy every step on my journey. However, I'm the first to admit that I've encountered my share of potholes, battled more self-doubt than I care to think about and worn Gwynly's ears out with my need for affirmation.

This weekend has been a great boost to my confidence. Not only did I receive news of the requests, but I also learned that V&V took first place in the inspirational category of the Golden Pen.

In spite of all of the good news I've experienced recently, I still wrestle with two of my biggest foes: fear and perfectionism. I fear my stories aren't good enough. I fear I'll get my hopes up only to have them dashed. I fear I'll never conquer my fears.

Please, tell me I'm not alone.
• • • • •

Do you dare to dream?

What are some of your dreams?

Do you ever suffer a confidence crisis?

Is fear one of your foes? How do you deal with it?

12 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Wow, Keli!! That is wonderful news!! Congratulations! Things are really heating up for you and I have a feeling you're going to be announcing bigger news soon! Yay!!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Way to go girl!! That's awesome news!! I'm twirling around and clapping my hands for you!!!

I too deal with lots of fears about my writing. The support of family, friends and other writers helps me to overcome them and write on!

Katie Ganshert said...

CONGRATS!!!! That's AWESOME! So happy for you, Keli! I pray those requests will lead to something wonderful! And yes, I struggle with fear and perfectionism ALL the time!

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Congratulations! I especially loved how you were so excited you bit your lip to injury. ;) You sure do know how to make a story all the more exciting.

Great news and keep us posted.
I dream.
I dream of holding my book.
Yes.
Yes.
God. God. God. (Those are my answers to your questions.)
~ Wendy

Cindy said...

I am so happy to hear your wonderful news. Congratulations!

Dreaming is wonderful. I think it encourages us go for things we may never have in the first place.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!!! That's so awesome!!! I'm really happy for you!

I had a publishing dream a few weeks ago. Hopefully that's a sign. I don't really believe in signs, but hey--I'll take that one!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

That is so awesome news, Keli!!!! Iknew this would happen with so many wins with V&V. You deserve this, girl!!

And, please, please, don't ever stop sharing your happy dances! We like to celebrate with you, too!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Diane said...

Yesterday I sent out my manuscript, first time ever. God is truly blessing with all the good reports I've seen in the past months about authors moving forward into their dreams. :O)

Anne Barton said...

Hi everyone! Keli wants to let you know that where she is, in the Sierra Foothills, they've received a foot of snow, and that means--you guessed it!--she's without power.

I know she'll be thrilled to see all the well wishes here, though, and I'm sure she'll check in as soon as she can.

--Anne

Susan Anne Mason said...

Keli,

What is the world coming to?! Four requests and a snowstorm? Is the apocalypse upon us?

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. I have a very good feeling about this. You SO deserve to be published. Fingers crossed that they snap V&V right up!

I think all writers struggle with self-doubt, fear and perfectionism. We just have to learn to deal with it in our own way.

Stay warm! We are preparing here for our first snow storm of the year - it's supposed to be coming tomorrow! We've had an unusually warm November and December so far.

Cheers,

Sue

Edna said...

I dream every night and I dream about my mama a lot, she has been gone 29 years and one of these days I will get to see her again in Heaven

Merry Christmas Keli

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Jill Kemerer said...

All of this good news threw a huge smile on my face. I'm so happy for you! And YES, I dare to dream!