Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Weekly Writing Recap: My Early Christmas Present

I'm posting my recap early because I have news I can't wait to share.

I have an agent!

Let me clarify that.

I am now represented by top-notch agent Rachelle Gardner!

Oh. My. Gosh!

Those are the three words I shouted repeatedly last Saturday night when I checked my email. Gwynly and I celebrated our anniversary on the 19th, and he'd taken me out for dinner at Olive Garden, a place we reserve for special occasions. I'd admitted to my critique partner that I would also be celebrating the fact that I'd hit "send" the night before, submitting my story after months of revision.

When I saw the name Rachelle Gardner in my in-box Saturday night, I couldn't believe it. I didn't get too excited, though, since I'd expected her to tell me thanks for getting the full to her but that she couldn't get to it until after the holidays. I opened the message, beheld the first few words and started shouting.

"I'd like to discuss the possibility of representation . . ."

I didn't even read the rest of the message at first. I was stunned and started shouting. Gwynly and the Fashion Queen figured out what was happening and assured our two cats that it was good news. The fuzzy fellows didn't buy it and hid.

Me? I was told I rushed from room to room repeating those three words, "Oh, my gosh!" at the top of my lungs. I vaguely recall clutching the walls, doorjambs and backs of chairs while my hubby and daughter raced to my computer to read the message. They promptly joined me, gathered me in a group hug, and jumped up and down with me in what has become our version of the Happy Dance.


I don't know how long I carried on, but I know it must have been a while because I was hoarse the next day and croaked out the carols in church.

Because it's Christmas time and because I know Rachelle was trying to catch up on her agency work, I didn't expect to hear from her until after the holidays. However, dedicated agent that she is, she called me tonight. Since I'd had four days to absorb the amazing news, I did a passable job of sounding in control. At least I hope I did. :-)

Rachelle likes my story, but it needs some work before it will be ready for submission. Since I'm a new writer, I wasn't surprised to hear that. Having spent months taking
Violets & Violins apart and putting it back together again, I'm up for the challenge. I did my research and know one of Rachelle's many strengths is editing, so I look forward to learning from her and watching my story get better under her tutelage.

I remarked to my family that this was the best Christmas present I could imagine. While it is wonderful, it wouldn't have been possible without the support of my husband, daughter, critique partner, extended family, church family, friends, writing buddies, contest judges and many others too numerous to name. I treasure each one of you and thank you very much for believing in me.

I wish you a blessed celebration of Christ's birth.

39 comments:

Kwana said...

What great news and a wonderful Christmas present. I'm so happy for you!

Kris Kennedy said...

Wonderful, wonderful news, Keli! And I'm so glad Rachelle called you tonight, so you could know celebrate. You certainly deserve all good news, Keli. Congratulations, and Merry Christmas!

Annette McCleave said...

Woohoo! Congratulations, Keli! So happy for you. Thank you for sharing your news and your joy.

Merry Christmas!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I'm screaming and dancing in circles of celebration for you!! Congrats!!! Way to go!! Woo Hoo!! You did it girl!! Awesome Christmas gift!! Confetti being thrown in your direction!!

Jody Hedlund said...

Whoo-hoo! I'm so happy for you Keli!! And I'm glad that you got the call before Christmas!! Now you can relax and REALLY enjoy Christmas this year! And thanks for sharing the adventure with me! Blessings!

Katie Ganshert said...

YAY!!!!! I'm SO excited you got the Call before Christmas!! Keli, I'm jumping up and down for you here! I know the waiting to celebrate had to be killing you! So So So happy for you. I'll be singing some praises to God on your behalf. Merry Christmas! I'm sure it will be a wonderful one. :)

Blessings,
Katie

Walt M said...

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful Christmas present! I'm excited for you! I know you'll have a happy holiday season.

All the best and Merry Christmas,

Walt

Lynda Schab said...

How exciting, Keli! You're Christmas just got merrier! Rachelle is a dream agent and I wish you much success as you edit and submit. Looking forward to hearing about the NEXT call on the list...a publishing contract!

Anne Barton said...

Woo-hoo!!! What an amazing Christmas present!!! I can't wait to see what 2010 holds in store for you. :) --Anne

Amy Atwell said...

You must have been a very good girl this year to get such a wonderful gift in your stocking. But then I never doubted your talent. Here's to a Keli Gwyn debut sale in 2010!

Deborah Vogts said...

Congratulations, Keli, and welcome to the WordServe Literary Club! LOL. Rachelle is a wonderful agent. I know you're going to love her.

Richard Mabry said...

Congratulations, Keli. Rachelle's a great agent and an even greater friend and encourager.
Have a Merry Christmas...and this will only make it better, won't it?

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

What fantastic news and just in time for Christmas! Congratulations! Have a Merry Christmas. ;-)

sherrinda said...

Keli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness!!!!! I'm happy dancing with you, girl! This is definitely YOUR year!! I am so incredibly proud for you and I know God has just the very best things in store for you! My, but that Rachelle is grabbing up all my blogging buddies! How cool is that?! Merry Christmas, Keli! Enjoy the glow for days to come!

Susan Hollaway said...

Woo-hoo! Cartwheel! Cartwheel!
I am SO happy for you, Keli!

sbmason@sympatico.ca said...

Keli,

Words cannot describe how happy I am for you! And how proud of I am! You set your sights for what you wanted and you put all your talent and determination into achieving your dream! You attracted the agent you wanted! And I know with absolute certainty that you will attract the right publishing house for you!

You deserve this time of celebration! So glad your daughter was home to share it with you and your hubby. Congratulations again. Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas!

Your pixie pal, Sue

PS. This won't let me sign in my usual way, but you know who it is! LOL.

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, I am just grinning here. I'm SO happy for you! What a wonderful present. :-) I was absent pretty much yesterday so I just saw this news when Sherrinda posted it on facebook!
Awesome, awesome!!!! *grin*

I would've been just like you, squealing and screaming and jumping all around. LOL!

Have a wonderful Christmas, Keli! :-)

T. Anne said...

I'm sooo thrilled for you! What a Christmas gift for you indeed! Merry Christmas!

Krista Phillips said...

I'm so VERY VERY excited for you!!! CONGRATS!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Erica Vetsch said...

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news!!!

Laura Frantz said...

Keli, That's a huge accolade to your fine work!! I'm so thankful and excited for you! The Lord is really working and it's such a blessing to see:)

Darcy Burke said...

Congratulations, Keli - a wonderful present indeed! But one you worked hard for and wholeheartedly deserve. I'm just thrilled for you. Watch out 2010, Keli's comin'!!!

Merry Christmas!

destrella said...

I am so thrilled for you! I am delighted at how many of my blogger friends are having their dreams come true in just the past month or two. Blessings and every happiness to you! :O)

Keli Gwyn said...

Thank you all for sharing in my excitement. What a gift! I'm still in a state of shock.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Jill Nutter said...

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic news, Keli. May the New Year be full of more joy for you and I'm sure you are having a very Merry Christmas. :)
Smiles and Blessings,
Jill

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd jump up and down for you if it weren't almost midnight here. Congrats, Friend! You deserve this! I saw your note on facebook and had to come over to see what was going on... the last few days have been busy busy. ANYWHO--- WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What awesome, incredible timing! Yay for you!

Btw-I received your Christmas card in the mail. Thank you so much! Right now it's on my shelf making me smile. :0)

Have a great weekend--i know you must be on cloud twenty million at the moment!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Btw--your story is also a HUGE encouragement to me because I've been busy revising a novel I already submitted and had rejected. This story has had major work done and is so much the better for it. I'm hoping second time will generate interest. Thanks for giving me hope!

Christine Trent said...

Yay, Keli! God is good.

C.J. Redwine said...

Congratulations again! I'm thrilled for you.

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks again to everyone who's been happy dancing with me. Sharing this with you makes my joy even sweeter. I've tried to respond to the deluge of well wishes and congrats and hope I haven't missed anyone. I appreciate every one of you and feel privileged to share my journey with such awesome friends.

Susan Hollaway said...

I left something for you over at my blog, Keli.

By the way, I'M the one who feels privileged to know YOU and share your journey. You rock!

Marcia Gruver said...

Awesome! You SO deserve this, Keli. You're a wonderful person. Enjoy every second.

lynnrush said...

Woo hoo!!!!! That's awesome. Rachelle is such a great person. You'll do well with her. Congrats!!

Carla Capshaw said...

Keli, I couldn't be happier for you! Huge congratulations on your new agent!! She is very blessed to have you!

Hugs!

Jarmara Falconer said...

What wonderful news! Blessing to you and all your family and friends.

Good luck in 2010

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks for the continued well wishes. I love sharing my journey with all of you. Your support and encouragement mean the world to me.

I'm eager to share in your good news and look forward to hearing much of it in 2010.

Chris Pedersen said...

OMG!!!!!! I feel like such a slummer that I did not read your blog and learn this earlier. I have taken a bit of a break from writing and have not kept up with reading blogs. I KNEW you would land an agent soon. All the work you have done to hone your skills and help other writers on their journey has paid off.

CONGRATULATION!!!!!! I can see you dance!

Carla Gade said...

Such great news!!!!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Oh my goodness!!! I'm way too late for the celebration and very embarrassed that it's taken me this long to discover this awesome news, Keli. I'm so very happy for you, Keli. And I know you're up for the revisions with all the hard work you've put into it so far.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Keep smiling, girl!