Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blessings and Blooms

Writers are wonderful people. I've been blessed by my writer friends on many occasions, and I'm beyond grateful. This past week, the blessings flowing my way left me feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you for your generosity, support, and encouragement. Thanks for lifting me up when I'm down and rejoicing with me when I receive good news.

Today I was blessed in a special way. A loud rap sounded on the front door. We weren't expecting anyone, so I wondered who it might be. I beat my husband to the door, opened it, and stared in disbelief. A florist stood there bearing a beautiful heart-shaped wicker basket filled with brightly colored violets.

I mumbled something resembling "thank you" to the florist. Puzzled, I turned to Gwynly, and asked if the flowers were from him. He often brings me flowers, but I couldn't imagine my frugal fellow having them delivered. However, he's been known to surprise me, even after twenty-two years of marriage. He shook his head.

Since the title of my current story is Violets & Violins, I suspected a writer friend. I opened the card and smiled. The unexpected gift was from my kind, caring, thoughtful critique partner
, Anne Barton.

Thanks, Anne. You made my day!


I wanna know ~

How have you been blessed by fellow writers on your writing journey?


When's the last time someone surprised you with a gift? How did you react?


What is one gift you've received that was so perfect it left you marveling at the giver's thoughtfulness?

12 comments:

Diane said...

Beautiful and lovely and so sweet! :O)

www.dianeestrella.com

Katie Ganshert said...

My hubby bought me flowers this morning! He had our 17-month old son give them to me!

Writers bless my life all the time - I know you have!!

Anne Barton said...

You're welcome, Keli! I'm glad we're on the journey together. What a great picture!

Jody Hedlund said...

That's so awesome, Keli! You are one of the most giving people I've met! You deserve the blessing back!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I got a wonderful card from you, Keli, that sure brought a smile to me. It is so nice to know that even though I'm distant from you all now with my blog/writing slowdown/hiatus, some of you still think of me.

I'm thinking of all of you often and certainly praying for you all.

Keli, I'm adding extra prayers for all your rewrites. You are one tenacious writer, girl!!!

Laura Marcella said...

What a nice gift, and you deserve it very much. I love when I receive letters from my college friends. We send stories back and forth to critique, but we also send fun letters and cards that have nothing to do with work. Perfect gifts that leave me marveling? When my husband says to me, how about we head on over to the bookstore and add to your overflowing bookshelves? Leaves me breathless every time!

I really like your blog's new look and good luck in revision land!

Jill Kemerer said...

Oh, they're beautiful, and you are too! What a pretty picture!

The last gift I received was an awesome gift card from YOU! You totally made my day.

Thank you so much for being such a great friend!

Jessica Nelson said...

That's so wonderful. ;-) I have a writer friend who surprises me with different things. When I was sick a few weeks ago she sent me Godiva. *grin*
Anne sounds like a lovely person.

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! I really appreciate knowing you. :-)

Billy Coffey said...

I couldn't have made it as far as I have without the support of other writers. No one else can quite understand all the trials and tribulations.

T. Anne said...

How wonderful! There is something extra special about having flowers delivered to your door! (not that I would know. *must hint hard to husband*) My daughter broke her leg a few years back and family sent her cake, balloons and flowers, it made all our days.

Blessed by a writer friend? hmm... Why yes, I have! And it was YOU!!!! I will never forget my chocolate and trinkets. You my love know how to make someone's day!!!!! XOXOXOXO

Carla Gade said...

Oh, what a beautiful basket of flowers! We are so blessed in the writing community to have such wonderful and thoughtful friends. In fact, you have blessed me with some wonderful happy gifts! And as I see, many others have also been blessed by your thoughtfulness. You really have the gift of encouragement, Keli!

And just two days ago I received a surprise from my friend, Laura Frantz. It was a happy spring gift - an eye glasses holder with adorable kittens on it. We just got a new kitty recently who enjoyed playing in the box!

It's not even the gift that matters so much, although so appreciated, it's the kind heart that sent it!

prashant said...

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! I really appreciate knowing you. :-)
data entry work from home