Archived Blogspot Blog Posts

Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Dancing for My Critique Partner

I've been blessed with two critique partners who are wonderful writers as well as treasured friends. I love reading their work, and I love when good things happen to them.

One of my critique partners is Jody Hedlund, whose debut novel, The Preacher's Bride, is due to be released by Bethany House on October 1st. Since Jody and I became CPs this year, I haven't read TPB yet, although I've had my preview copy on order from Amazon for months.

One of the big events a debut romance novelist awaits is her first review from RT Book Reviews. I've been eagerly awaiting Jody's. Since I subscribe to the magazine (and highly recommend that every romance writer do the same), I'm able to view the reviews online weeks before they appear in print.

This morning, I visited the RT website and squealed. Not only was the review up, but Jody's book, The Preacher's Bride, received the highest RT Book Reviews rating: 4-1/2 stars!!! I'm beyond thrilled for Jody. What a way to launch her career as a published novelist.

I contacted RT Book Reviews to request permission to share Jody's excellent review, and editor Carol Stacy generously granted it.

So, here it is:
.


THE PREACHER’S BRIDE
by Jody Hedlund

Genre: Historical Romance, Inspirational

RT Rating

In this remarkable debut based on the life of Pilgrim’s Progress author John Bunyan, Hedlund shows a great talent for immediately transporting readers into her story. The pages turn faster with each chapter and the characters seem like old friends from the beginning.

When his wife perishes after the birth of their son, John is too busy grieving to want another woman to care for his home and children. However, Elizabeth has other plans after being asked to keep house for the preacher and falling in love with the newborn baby and his siblings. John has made some powerful enemies as his brave sermons upset Royalists in 1650 England, and Elizabeth is soon dragged into peril. Now that she has grown to love John, she may be the only one who can save him. (BETHANY HOUSE, Oct., 384 pp., $14.99)

Reviewed By: Terri Dukes

Publisher: BETHANY HOUSE

Published: October 2010

.
Currently, only subscribers can see the review online. As of October 1st, anyone will be able to view Jody's review at: http://www.rtbookreviews.com/book-review/preacher%E2%80%99s-bride

The October issue of RT Book Reviews is on newsstands and in the mail to subscribers, so you can view the print version of the review there as soon as you get a copy.

22 comments:

Amy DeTrempe said...

I have been axiously awaiting the release of this book and cannot wait to read it.

Katie Ganshert said...

Woo-hoo!!!! That is an AWESOME review! Congrats to Jody!!

Meg said...

That's awesome! Congratz to Jody!

Jody Hedlund said...

THANK YOU, Keli!!!!!! You are such a dear, dear friend!! Thank you for calling me and alerting me! And thank you so much for getting permission to post this on your blog! It's so exciting to realize that this long-awaited dream of publication is really happening! And even more than that, I truly hope the book satisfies readers!

Blessings to you and I'm positive it's not going to be long before we're all celebrating with you too! :-)

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am so excited for Jody!
Blessings,
Karen :)

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Thanks for sharing this review of Jody's book. How awesome to receive such high praise even before the book hits the bookstores!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Oh this is awesome on two counts. One, the way you're celebrating for her and two, that word remarkable.

So excited for Jody!
~ Wendy

Laura Marcella said...

This is wonderful! I'm excited to read Jody's book, too. I'm so glad it's receiving such excellent reviews already!!!

Diane said...

So proud of Jody and her great review. Can't wait to see her book! :O)

Heather Sunseri said...

This is so exciting! Can't wait to read The Preacher's Bride! Congrats, Jody!

Erin MacPherson said...

Hi Keli-
I have also had my copy of The Preacher's Bride on pre-order for months now. I don't personally know Jody but her blog is so wonderful. I'm so excited for her!!

Susan Anne Mason said...

Keli,

You are always so on top of things. The pulse of the writing world! LOL.

Thanks for sharing this fabulous review. Congratulations, Jody! Another book for my wish list which keeps growing and growing.

Sounds like this story is a winner!

Cheers,
Sue

Jessica Nelson said...

Woohoo for Jody! I can't wait to read it. :-) And you're a really sweet friend to buzz the book up, Keli! May your sowing result in a nice, big reaping.

Britt Mitchell said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm so happy for Jody and can't wait to read her book (I have yet to buy it...shame on me.)

I wanted to say, I really enjoyed your "about me" section. Taco Bell and 70's music. Right on!

T. Anne said...

YAY Jody! And I wonder why the highest rating wouldn't be five full stars? It might confuse people who assume it is. Go figure, right? ANyway, congrats to Jody on a job well done! You have an amazing critique partner.

Janna Qualman said...

I can't think of higher regard for a debut novelist! And Jody so deserves it.

Keli, thanks for visiting my blog. I don't know if we've officially crossed paths yet, but I've seen your presence many places. It's nice to finally "meet!"

Best with everything. :)

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Keli,

How nice of you to visit my blog. Jody has mentioned her "awesome critique partner", and it's a pleasure to visit your blog.

Love the review of The Preacher's Bride...I completely agree with the pages turning fast part. At certain points in the book I could not WAIT to find out what happened next.

My congrats to you both! (You helped her get there!) :)

CMOM Productions said...

Jody truly deserves the praise on her book! Thanks for sharing.

Julie Musil said...

Jody definitely deserved this amazing review. Thanks for sharing it with us.

How lucky for the two of you to critique together!

Jeanette Levellie said...

I love Jody, and PB is one of the best books I've read all year. So proud of her!
Jen

Warren Baldwin said...

Jody is a great writer.

Thanks for visiting Family Fountain to read Rosslyn's article.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

wb

Maria I. Morgan said...

Thanks for the heads-up! And a HUGE shout out to Jody on a job well done!! Her novel is wonderful and I'm eagerly awaiting #2, The Doctor's Lady!

Have a wonderful weekend, Keli!